Battery life not even close to advertised for me, help please!

I could use some suggestions on what I could do to improve battery life on the Instinct. It would be the perfect compromise of cost/features for my uses if I could just get half of what is advertised. I'd be content with a week, but I'm not getting close to that. I consistently lose 1 bar (>20%??) in less than 24 hours.

I am not doing any GPS or Activities yet, and wouldn't dare until I figure out how to get decent battery life first. I am currently on 2.76 and have done a complete reset and have tuned down and disabled much of what I would think would help, but am still not getting near 1 week while others including the reviews state with the default stuff enabled they are getting at least a week.

I also have disabled all widgets except the face, HR, steps, and my day, and have even tested this with the phone set to disconnected/off. The below is a summary of how I currently have it configured, and have had this issue on both 2.60 and 2.76.

Please, any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

2.76 - Software version
20% - Backlight
8s - Timeout
1st (top) - Watch face
OFF - Move alert
ON - Move IQ
OFF - Gesture
OFF - All sounds and vibration options
SMART - Data recording

Phone:
CONNECTED - Status
ON - Status
ON - Smart Notifications
OFF - Alerts
  • What is the percentage showing when you plug it into recharge? The bars are a notoriously unreliable indication of battery state.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but when the first bar is gone there is between 80 and 100% battery. The second bar is between 60 and 80% 3rd bar between 60 and 40 % an so on. So when the last bar is gone there could be anything from zero to 20 percent. I would let it run out completely and then recharge and measure again.
  • Not going to correct as the bars are a visual indicator only. Unless the Instinct is any different, there is likely to be a percentage shown when connected for charging. That's a far better measure of usage.
  • Not going to correct as the bars are a visual indicator only. Unless the Instinct is any different, there is likely to be a percentage shown when connected for charging. That's a far better measure of usage.

The Instinct is different - there is no percentage shown when connected for charging. In fact, there is no indication of the state of charge available anywhere in the watch except the five bar symbol.

Now you know.

HTH
  • Yeah, no percentage anywhere on this thing, probably the top requested feature to be added everywhere you can find reviews, including this site.

So... you're saying that 1 bar <=20%, I had assumed 1 bar >=20%. I would tend to want to disagree with the former as that would logically mean that as soon as you go from fully charged (100%) to 99%, then you would fall into that criteria and therefore very quickly lose a bar within hours after unplugging the charging cable (and falling from 100% to 99%). However, I can't speak with certainty that the latter is how it is coded... which I guess would be yet another request to have a percentage reading in this thing somewhere at least as that would very easily clarify this.

I would note that I have also noticed about at least a bar a day, if not more (about 4 bars by the 3rd day), but that was before I've done a full reset (last night at the last 100% charge). I'll keep wearing it as is and just report back I guess over the next couple of days I guess. However, at this rate, 5 bars means 2 days under 1 week, and only with just about every feature disabled, so that's not good.

Also, for clarity, I've determined full charge to 100% 24 hours ago by charging until the animation stops, per info I've found elsewhere on this forum.

Anyone else have any other suggestions or things to try, please let me know, thanks!!
  • I would say that the battery is at fault. You should be able to get the watch replaced under the warranty. I have had my Instinct 9 days. Last full charge 7 days ago, now down to 2 bars, with continues heart monitoring and about 1 hour GPS use.
  • With all the sensors turned on without using GPS, I have enough battery power for about 10 days. Firmware 2.60.
  • Yeah, no percentage anywhere on this thing, probably the top requested feature to be added everywhere you can find reviews, including this site.

So... you're saying that 1 bar <=20%, I had assumed 1 bar >=20%. I would tend to want to disagree with the former as that would logically mean that as soon as you go from fully charged (100%) to 99%, then you would fall into that criteria and therefore very quickly lose a bar within hours after unplugging the charging cable (and falling from 100% to 99%). However, I can't speak with certainty that the latter is how it is coded... which I guess would be yet another request to have a percentage reading in this thing somewhere at least as that would very easily clarify this.

I would note that I have also noticed about at least a bar a day, if not more (about 4 bars by the 3rd day), but that was before I've done a full reset (last night at the last 100% charge). I'll keep wearing it as is and just report back I guess over the next couple of days I guess. However, at this rate, 5 bars means 2 days under 1 week, and only with just about every feature disabled, so that's not good.

Also, for clarity, I've determined full charge to 100% 24 hours ago by charging until the animation stops, per info I've found elsewhere on this forum.

Anyone else have any other suggestions or things to try, please let me know, thanks!!

Here is how I believe the bar system should be interpreted:

||||| = 81% - 100%

|||| = 61% - 80%

||| = 41% - 60%

|| = 21% - 40%

| = <20%

HTH
  • My Instinct went for about another day on zero bars before announcing critical battery level and shutting down, so perhaps no bars =<10%
    Getting around 2 weeks battery life (no GPS activities) and 16 hours GPS (SW 2.76 beta)
    1 bar every 24 hours sounds like faulty unit :(
  • There’s no logical reason to NOT include the battery % through a future update.