Instinct Suggestions List

You buy a product knowing it’s current features but like anything, after using it you can come up with improvements and suggestions based on the watch and what is was designed for. Since we have a plethora of topics here, ideas and suggestions are all over the place, so I figured I’d create a topic to help people organize some of them.

So, below I’ll post a few suggestions based on my experience. If you agree with a suggestion (whether with me or anyone else), +1 it so Garmin knows. Post yours and let’s see what happens.

I’ll begin:

1. Timers- Give the user the ability to reorganize the Timers or have it automatically sort based on length of time (longest to shortest or vice versa).

2. Stopwatch- There is more than enough room to put the time of day. A lot of waste room on the SW screen.

3. Setting GPS- Unless I’m missing something, you have to set the GPS and it’s connection type per activity. It would be nice to set it on one (GPS or GPS/GLONASS or GPS/Galileo). Because of apps and websites like GNSS View, you can see the satellites above you and you can adjust your GPS connection settings accordingly.

4. Battery %- This is straightforward. We should be able to see the exact % of battery remaining.
  • The recent key lock thread led me to find a bit of an annoyance. Upon learning of the feature I turned on auto-lock as I noticed if I bend my wrist sharply, sometimes it will inadvertently hit the GPS button causing an unwanted activity to start.

I also have my Instinct alarm set to wake me up. Well 4AM is not the best time to have to figure out that locking the keys keeps you from simply pressing the usual cancel button to shut it up. It's not a huge deal, long press then press again, but it would be much better to just hit it once to turn it off. Seems like a simple enough programming change to allow button presses during an active alarm.

Request: Have lock keys temporarily disable during an alarm to permit cancel and snooze press without first unlocking keys.
  • My suggestions:

- Add hotkey option to toggle DND
    - Add hotkey option to jump directly to a widget I choose
    - Add an option to allow phone calls to vibrate even during DND mode
    - Add an option to have UTC (or really any time zone) displayed in one of the data fields other than the 'eye'
  • Some more suggestions:

Battery Percentage (seems a common request)

Add some data Fields (please tell me if these exist and I've missed something):
    Max Heart Rate
    Average Moving Speed (this is in the manual but not avail on the watch)
    Moving Time
    Stopped Time

Options to change colour of eye. Default face has blue eye on blue face. Reverse has white face with blue eye (not white). Seems a bit random what the developers have chosen. I can change the colour of a data display from blue to white but then no option to choose the colour of the eye.

Being able to change the type of activity. So be able to copy/clone an activity but then change its type to save setting up data fields from scratch.

When removing an activity, actually remove it (this may be a bug).

Fix Garmin connect mobile (another forum)

• - % of the battery
    - additional simple watch face without graph
    - simple map
  • I would love to see "Remaining Calories" on the watch itself, specifically I'd love to show it on my watch face. It's in Connect so should be possible.
  • DRigbye That one is so obvious to me that I simply can’t understand why it’s not already in place.

Right now Garmin Connect is showing me that I’m at 1670 Total Calories burned for the day (1076 resting plus 594 active, recorded on the bike using an Edge 1030), but the Fenix 5+ watch face is showing 1406. If the Fenix isn’t going to show the correctly recorded calories, including all activity in Garmin Connect then this data field is rendered utterly pointless.
  • DRigbye That one is so obvious to me that I simply can’t understand why it’s not already in place.

Right now Garmin Connect is showing me that I’m at 1670 Total Calories burned for the day (1076 resting plus 594 active, recorded on the bike using an Edge 1030), but the Fenix 5+ watch face is showing 1406. If the Fenix isn’t going to show the correctly recorded calories, including all activity in Garmin Connect then this data field is rendered utterly pointless.

Did you try sync your watch with the app using the sync in the top right of the Garmin app?

Still won't help with showing remaining calories so doesn't help me.
  • I own at this time the Forerunner 645 Music, but my watch has been broken and waiting for the repair. I think about selling the FR645m (music i didn't use much and not missing it) and buy the Instinct. The only thing is that I miss the VO2 max on this watch. Is there any update on this or in developement? thnks
  • Did you try sync your watch with the app using the sync in the top right of the Garmin app?

Still won't help with showing remaining calories so doesn't help me.

Yes, synced watch with phone and also via the desktop app on multiple days. Makes no difference. The watch face data field simply doesn’t align with Garmin Connect, which renders it pointless.

Even now, I’m sat here and the watch face says 1,206 but having just synced via the mobile app, Garmin Connect says 1,238. The only workout I’ve done today was done on the watch, so I can’t see any reason for them to be different. Perhaps

Garmin-Heath could respond and confirm if this is a bug or just poor design?

I agree that, on its own, this wouldn’t provide the additional feature you are suggesting (and which would be great), but whilst the Total Calories field is wrong, then delivering your request would be pointless as it would show incorrect data.
  • lj50 we have not had any other reports of this, can you please contact our support teams so we can work with you directly?