This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2max Petition

One thing pretty much all Instinct owners and reviewers agree on is that the VO2max omission is odd for a device at this price point, considering lower-tiered devices have it.

Adding it would make the Instinct a much easier purchase for lots of runners who would prefer this style of watch/display over the color models, just based on gauging reactions from personal encounters, as well as countless others around the internet.

Garmin team seems pretty good at responding to user feedback [sometimes], so let's see if we can draw their attention and hopefully get this feature added to our Instincts.

Reply to this post below if you support this petition!
  • Some of us what to do more than running or hiking. I climb, run, hike, strength train, snowboard, xc ski, and backpack. I used to own a Fitbit, but it breaks a few time on me, some my fault, most are not. I switch over to Garmin because its more durable, but their running line of watches isn't as durable as I would like (along with shorter battery life). I am not an amateur/professional/inspiring athlete so I don't want to spend that much money on the Fenix. The instinct fits my needs, but I am waiting for them to add VO2Max until I make the purchase because my current watch is the Vivoactive HR and it has Garmin Connect IQ which has apps that can calculate your VO2Max.

The Instinct is the hardware I needed, but the software is currently lacking features that I want. The good thing about software is that they can be updated. I don't need SPO2, I just need VO2Max. Hope to hear the good news from Garmin soon.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Rick11 and CalgaryRunner Did the two of you really say you think Garmin should add VO2Max to the Instinct because a Fenix is to expensive and you really, really want it? Seriously? I can't afford it, or don't want to spend more, but you should give me additional features anyway? LOL! I'm going down to the locale BMW dealership and see if they'll give me a 7 Series.
  • @TMK17: when I bought the Instinct, the Fenix 5 was just slightly more expensive, so problem was not money but the dimension (and the weight!) of the watch.

Moreover, even if the Instinct with VO2Max might eventually eat some market of the old Fenix 5, it will never eat the market of the Fenix 5S. Too much difference, in costs and features.
  • OT: sorry I can not support this petition, but if there will by petition for Fenix 5* with price tag from Instinct I will join.
  • Hello,

I am an owner of FR935 (before Fenix3 and FR610). I am using it mostly for the running now and I like to sitting on a sofa after training and watching my VO2max trend, lactate threshold trend and also training status. If I need new watches, I wish to have these features again. But honestly, instinct would be probably my choice even if it missing these features. My firs reaction was similar as topic founder, but in the end... I really do not need it. I know how I feel after training and I know if my condition growing also without these overrated features. And one benefit: I will save time on a sofa and I can train longer :D

So, I will not sign the petition :)
  • I don't understand the hype near VO2max. It's just a motivation number in smartwatches, that does not reflect the reality :) If you read about VO2max in medicine articles, you understand, that complex medical devices used for its calculation, for ex. respiration analyzer with medical HRM strap.
    So if you want to see accurate VO2max and see progress in your training, go to nearby clinic and do the VO2max test.
  • Okay, so many people here have complained to those who want the VO2max for the instinct, because of the more expensive Garmin watches. How do explain these same people now that the new, much cheaper Garmin forerunner 45 does have VO2Max and the body battery feature?
  • Former Member
    How do explain these same people now that the new, much cheaper Garmin forerunner 45 does have VO2Max and the body battery feature?

It's simple. The FR45 was designed and targeted towards runners. The Instinct is not.
  • After reading the thread, I think all the people in-favor for VO2max OR SPO2 have pointed out all the compelling arguments. I think the watch would be truly complete with either of these metrics.
  • Former Member
    After reading the thread, I think all the people in-favor for VO2max OR SPO2 have pointed out all the compelling arguments.

I just re-read this thread. Please tell us what "compelling arguments" have been brought forth other than "I just want it". Name just one. Garmin has several devices that support VO2 Max and SPO2. Buy one. Give us one good reason Garmin should add this to the Instinct.