This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2max Petition

One thing pretty much all Instinct owners and reviewers agree on is that the VO2max omission is odd for a device at this price point, considering lower-tiered devices have it.

Adding it would make the Instinct a much easier purchase for lots of runners who would prefer this style of watch/display over the color models, just based on gauging reactions from personal encounters, as well as countless others around the internet.

Garmin team seems pretty good at responding to user feedback [sometimes], so let's see if we can draw their attention and hopefully get this feature added to our Instincts.

Reply to this post below if you support this petition!
  • But at least VO2Max is a metric I really care about, and I do not consider it "advanced".

I see this a lot. Why is VO2max such an important metric for you? The VO2max estimates provided from any device are just that, estimates and can be as much as 10% or more out compared to a lab test. I'd love to know why you feel it is so important when there are much better ways to gauge performance improvements.

If any feature is of importance to anyone purchasing a device, then it seems pointless buying a device without it, then hoping a petition to Garmin will somehow make it appear. Buy the device for what you know it can do, not what you'd like it to do.
  • I simply prefer to have a single metric which measures my overall performance. VO2Max is a metric that I know and that I understand, that's all. Since first beat lists 12 (!) metrics for the Fenix 5, and since VO2Max is present in every garmin watch with wrist hear rate, I guess I am not the only one considering VO2Max important but not advanced.

In any case, budget constraint prevents many people to have all the features they would like to have. As for the Fenix, yesterday I tried it, it's really very very big for my small wrist.

• To: dav.dc - OK, but if this watch is mainly for outdoor (not running) why it has not at least SPO2 measurement, which is very important for high altitude trekking...
  • Because for SPO2 Garmin wants you to spend much more money for the F5X+.
  • So, I found a very good black friday deal (-25%) and I bought it. Of course, I understand that the watch does not have VO2Max. But it has the four things I care most: GPS + wrist heart rate sensor + barometric altimeter + navigation
  • To: tmk2. Yes :-). If you have the heart rate sensor on the watch - implementing this function is very cheap (piece of SW). What is driving me crazy, that this function have 50 bucks Chinese watches... with surprising accuracy and even equipped with blood pressure function :-)
  • rooomish : I agree that would make sense. But SpO2 needs an additional sensor and this has a cost for something that most users don't need (in my case trail running or mid-altitude treks). So I guess Garmin considered they would have sold less Instincts with it...

However I would not be surprised at all if the next generation Instinct 2 had also an "X" model.
  • If you have the heart rate sensor on the watch - implementing this function is very cheap (piece of SW).

Not quite. Not every optical HR sensor can do pulse ox. Garmin's only 2 devices that can do that (the F5X+ and the VS4) have different sensors (green and red LEDs) than any other garmin (green LEDs only).

Anyway, It doesn't really matter if it's cheap to implement or not. Garmin wants you to pay extra for that, and either you're fine with that and pay extra, or you choose another solution.
  • Yes, I agree with pulse ox, most likely it's also hardware related.
    But VO2Max, the feature we are discussing in this topic, can be implemented with a few lines of code, via firmware update, and almost every watch with an heart rate sensor on the wrist has it

Suunto, Polar, Garmin: to the best of my knowledge, only instinct does not have VO2Max. Why, Garmin?
  • To: tmk2: Concerning the sensor - I have mentioned Chinese watches - they also have only green light... !?

But yes, I definitely agree with you - it is Garmin marketing strategy... :-D