Sync largely works, but Routes are not synced

Hi All,

I just tried to sync my Gamin InReach Explorer+. It is possible to show that changes to messages work. Similarly, it is possible to show that changes to contacts work. However, I have a collection of 4 routes that are not downloaded. These tracks were created using Caltopo and exporting the Caltopo lines as GPX data. When I upload that data to Explore.Garmin.Com the site warns me that each gpx file will be thinned down to just 200 points for storage as routes and I agree to that. The four tracks show up in the Maps tab, both in the sidebar and as lines on the displayed map. It all seems fine (to that point).

I have used an admin account on my Mac (running OS X Big Sur). I have re-downloaded the InReach Sync program. I have updated the firmware on my GPS. I have swapped cables and USB ports. I rerun InReach Sync on my Mac every time. Those actions do not change the outcome. If you have a suggestion then I would be very grateful to hear it. Thank you!

• I just used the Chat function and got some helpful links. It turns out that the sync process is almost hilariously flawed. Astonishingly, the sync process simply gives up if you have more than 700 data points (total) for ALL of your routes. Since routes are allowed to have "as many as" 200 points, this means the sync process silently fails if you have more than 3 such routes. Ouch. I struggle to think of any circumstances under which silent failures could be considered desirable.

In fairness, the device I have is an older one. It might be uncomfortably close to the old Spot technology, which had some near-unworkable features to it.

There is a work around, but (apologies) I have to say that I can't completely recall all the (numerous) steps. The essential idea is to use the tools in the Map tab to create a new collection and move just 3 routes at a time into this collection so that it has less than the 700-point maximum content. Then, in the Plans and Devices tab, look for your device and the "Sync" links for that device (to the left of the color image of your device). There is a link there called "Collections". If you tap that you have the option of changing the "Primary Collection" to your new collection and go back then you're almost home. Tap the "Close" button to go back to the previous page. Then tap the "Sync and Update" button to run sync. With luck, you might find that your routes have downloaded. If you need to download more than 3 routes you may need to delete the three current routes from your new collection and replace them with as-yet-unsynced routes.