Inreach not send texts or receiving them

Inreach is activated with unlimited plan, and will not send and or receive text messages? Any help? It also shows on the maps as a blue triangle and not a bubble with a dot? Please help

Top Replies

All Replies

• Thanks! Reinstalling the app seemed to fix the issues. All is working perfectly now.

• Dear Leslie.  I operate/ boat in Seychelles area. Mini inreach work find to send and receive email/ app; send sms but it's impossible to reply to the sms . We try with Reunion's island phone +262... or Seychelles phone N° + 248 no way. 

The reply N°/ text message send / inreach it's the : +1213-529-8542 so the answer should be send to that N° correct?

Where is the issue? Why +1235298542 didn't send back the answer??

Best regards.

Fred

• Garmin uses various SMS gateways around the world to provide text messaging to cell phones. Some of those gateways are not capable of handling the reply function. It may be that the specific gateway is incapable of handling replies. Or it may be that something has gone wrong.

Either way, open a support ticket with Garmin.

• Dear twolpert. Leslie stop to ansnwer, so i think " Some of those gateways are not capable of handling the reply function" you are right... We'll close our garmin account and try ZOLEO who had a dedicated phone n° , shoud avoid theses problems...

• Hello in my previous comment I had recommended syncing the device and testing it again. Had you ever tried this? It is an important function of troubleshooting sms send/reply issues. If it still isn't getting replies after a sync has been done and you have verified the phone number is correct then the next step would be to have the recipient check with their carrier to make sure they aren't blocking/spamming the messages. There are some carriers in other countries as twolpert said that are incapable of handling this. Not Receiving Replies From inReach Message SMS Recipients

• Leslie:

I had recommended syncing the device and testing it again: DONE

he recipient check with their carrier to make sure they aren't blocking/spamming the messages:  Sure i ved different phone N° and do the tests on my lines and Friends N°!

There are some carriers in other countries as twolpert said that are incapable of handling this . THANK YOU!! Its what i think!!

So inreach can't receive text answer everywhere.!!! 

Best regards.
    fred

• To be clear: It's the cell carrier who MIGHT block some texts. It's not specific to a number, it's specific to the carrier. If this does happen, it would prevent the delivery of any SMS message containing a short link. The Garmin servers append the short link to EVERY message FROM an iR device TO an SMS number. An SMS REPLY does not contain the appended link.

If SMS messages sent from your inReach device reach the Garmin servers (appear in your Inbox) but do not reach the recipient's phone, the problem might be due to carrier blocking. To test this, you can remove the short links. At explore.garmin.com, go to the Account tab. In the lower right corner, under "SMS settings" (or something like that), look for the option to "include a link...". Make sure that is UNchecked.

The problem, if any, with replies is NOT a problem with the cell carrier. It is a problem with the SMS gateway which Garmin uses to deliver the original text into the cell network. The gateways are third parties, not directly controlled by Garmin. It's not worth delving into the gory details. But the gateway needs certain capabilities in order to get the reply all the way back to the inReach device when sent the original SMS. Almost all gateways can do this, but a few cannot.

If you have a specific phone number which (a) successfully receives the original SMS from the inReach device and (b) from which replies are not delivered back to the inReach device, open a support ticket. Garmin will need to know your iR device (your account at explore.garmin.com), the number of the phone in question, and the general geographic location of the phone. For tests like this is, it is best if the phone is connected to its OWN cell carrier. (That is, the phone is NOT roaming.) Garmin may also ask for the cell carrier for the number in question - that's more to verify the geographic location and the non-roaming state of the phone.

I don't actually know how Garmin decides which gateway to use to deliver the original SMS message from the inReach device to the phone. 

• Hi Andrew I’m having trouble sending text messages with my inreach mini. Just wondering if you have any suggestions on how to fix these issues?