inreach mini message unreliable

Old question revisited:

For every year we've owned our Mini, we've been suffering from connectivity and particularly communications being unreliable.  Been working with customer support, and they always have various reasons, but it is clear we've be lucky if we need the unit to work and it actually does.

Yes have updated software, as always. And the customer service department through their backend software tested the unit and it seems to be performing well technically. And its not the "mobile service provider" as the unit is not sending for hours and has nothing to do with AT&T, Verizon nor T-mobile.

And, other friends with the device report the same thing. A friend said she had a message that didn't send during 2 weeks of travel, then suddenly sent and really threw the recipient into a panic since it was so very old and out of context.

The issue is not expectations, it is that it often does not successfully send a message in hours, not just the 10-20 minutes that inReach says should be the typical worst case situation. Its more obvious during tracking, when the points are often hours apart and even quite inaccurate for position. This is when following open roads and covering many miles and landscapes. Last straw was last week, when a message intended to send actually sent 4 hours later, after hiking for 2 hours and driving with the unit on the dashboard for 2 hours. The unit beeped for message sent after I arrived home and was unloading the truck. We've had 4 years of this, and love the size and carry-ability of the Mini, but am very afraid of just buying the new Mini 2 given it appears that the real issues are not being talked about.  Again, according to multiple people at inReach tech support, this unit working properly.

Maybe I've missed a good answer to this on the forum, and if so I apologize. But it seems doubtful that the Mini 2 fixes it since the Mini problems aren't spoken about either.

Thoughts?

• This unit definitely does not work correctly.

Mini (and Minin2) has known problem having difficulty to get gps fix fast, but this should not disable it to send messages. Messages which involve actual position may be delayed when 'waiting for gps' is displayed on the screen. In such cases one can also select to send msg anyway and not wait for a fix.

This unit should be replaced or repaired definitely as it does not perform as other such units do.

• Sounds defective to me. If it's still under warranty, ask for an exchange. If not, you're going to have to pay for the replacement. Either way, you will get a refurbished unit. Garmin never repairs/returns your own unit.