inReach Mini Battery Replacement

I have had my inReach for 3 years and have only used it a couple of times. I have come to the conclusion that my device is defected. It won't charge and I can only get it to show the "connect USB" screen and the "Sun and Battery" screen. The device is never hot and I have left it charging for many hours, even over night. I have read there was a firmware issue if the battery got too low it wouldn't charge so it needs to be updated. I have tried updating with no luck and hard reset and updated and still no luck. I spoke to Garmin support and they told me I need to pay $130 for a replacement which I find ridiculous. It is not my problem they had a firmware issue. A device that is expensive should not only work twice regardless of how long you have had it.... So my question is, if I replace the battery will this fix my issue? I have found this battery: https://www.ecrater.com/p/38852824/battery-garmin-361-00114-00-for-010-01879-inreach-mini?gps=1 

I do understand the mAh are lower, but figured its better than nothing. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• You've already tried everything I can think of, including a full reset. I think Garmin support is right - there is something wrong with the unit other than a dead battery. $130 is probably the standard charge for a refurb unit.

• OK. My device developed the same problem after a couple of years. No response, no charging. I assumed the battery had died. After reading a few discussion forums I decided the first step was to buy a new battery and replace it myself. I had trouble connecting the new battery. The connector plug was curved, and whenever I released pressure on the connection, the connection failed. After couple of hours I gave up and put back in the old battery, assuming I would just have to pay for the refurbish changeover. The old battery then worked and informed by it had 25% charge. It seems obvious that the internal plug connection the inReach and the battery had disconnected under light normal use. I then wnet on an explore and discovered that the old DeLorme models had a much more reliable pin plug connector. I am left wondering just how reliable my InReach will be out in the wild again. I fear I will be looking for a more reliable replacement - travelling with a screwdriver.

• I know its late but I did what you said and sure enough that was the problem, thank you!!! It does suck not knowing if its going to do it again but im glad I don't have a paper weight as of now. Thanks again!

• I had the same issue but before trying to replace the battery or send in the mini, I opened it up, disconnected the battery and connected it again. That completely fixed the issue.

It seems like the battery was decalibrated or something. The connector was solid.

• Yup! Same problem for me. Did the factory reset, uploaded the latest firmware but the unit still wouldn't power up even after being connected to charge overnight.

Opened up the rear cover, unplugged the battery and reconnected it, hit the power button and she fired up showing 100% battery level. Joy.

Hard battery re-boot worked for me... You just need a T5 Torx screw driver Slight smile