Any rumors about the next generation of mini?

I'm normally reading the Forerunner 945 forum, and one of the threads that keeps coming up are rumors about the next generation of the watch (the 955?). Are there any rumors about the next generation of the mini?

I know what I'd like to see: better integration with the wearables. The number one item would be that the Incidence Detection that's on so many devices now would (if paired with a mini) automatically trigger an SOS from the mini. Yes, you can trigger an SOS from your watch through the InReach app, but what happens if the "incident" that triggers Incidence Detection also knocks you out, or at least seriously injuries you.

I'm sure that there are other things you'd like to see in the next gen mini.  Any thoughts on when (or if) the next gen mini will be released and what the differences will be? 

• A Solar Mini - Very likely in my opinion.  Garmin is adding Solar charging capability to several of their wearables (Instinct and Fenix for example). It makes sense to add this capability to a device like the Mini. 

Smaller/Lighter - Always better to be smaller and lighter.  I wouldn't want the screen any smaller so it would have to be thinner. 

Improved Reception - Sending and receiving improvements and speed

New App - Earthmate consumes far too much battery and as a result no one uses it for anything but custom messages. 

Not sure about Incidence Detection.  It's a very serious matter sending an SOS.  Doing so summons human resources that may be putting their lives on the line.  When I'm pursuing a dangerous objective/peak or there is a dangerous section, I have tracking on or I send preset messages with my location so if something does happen the search field is narrow.  Sending an automated SOS based on an "Incident" as a climber that could result in false SOS being sent.

However, the Mini is near perfect as is for my purposes.

• I don't think a new Mini is needed to support incident detection from device, it could just send a preset or special preset message. OnStar in cars doesn't call 911, it goes to a operation center first. A good first step would be if it could react to incident detection same as the paired device would if a networked phone was present.

Threads on this topic in Reddit are pretty inconclusive about a new Mini, the speculation is mostly based on the how long the device has already been out. But on the other hand most of the complaints are not about the Mini itself as much as the ecosystem it's in, the website and the apps, price. The others are not easily improved such as the satellite connection. There was inquiry about *Starlink* being better, but then that turned out to be expensive and requiring a big dish to connect.  I was certainly hoping the price would go down with much greater adoption of it this year, but in fact the price went the other way, significant increase actually for seasonal users.

Edit: I meant *Starlink* not Iridium

• Not sure what you mean here. All inReach devices use the Iridium network.

• Thanks good catch I meant Starlink so edited and notated the reply.

• I’m seeing some quite heavy discounting here in the UK, that usually means something is on the horizon ?

• Solar! Even it can add small %%, but can save life in some cases.

Owner / Health / Emergency contact info on screen display with easy action for third parties. Actually it can be just a software update for the current model, some settings to show it all the time, to switch / scroll screen with it periodically, to show it for some detected condition like unit is not moving any more etc etc

Blink red light activated from menu and by conditions.

Of course smaller device and arm band for it (I am long distance runner).  

• Two other features nice to see in the next version of MINI.

Actually these features can be added to the current version of MINI and watch via firmware / software updates.

- To show on the connected watch coordinates (location) sent to the MINI. It can be used for on-the-wrist navigation if MINI is mounted on the backpack. For now if coordinates are sent to MINI, you need manually one-by-one symbol to copy it to the watch, very painful and time consuming, also errors are possible.

- To show on the connected watch Weather received by MINI. It can be useful for traveling outside cellular coverage.

• The ability send out dsc messages to a specific boat as well as ais enabled boats more generally would make it an essential personal location/man overboard device short of a plb (which activates international rescue) in the sea whether sailing/diving or other watersports for the many situations that may not require a full rescue call out, would make it a must have safety device on land or sea, especially the latter where its lacking

• Also, it is nice to have outgoing message (sending in the progress) indicator on the connected watch widget / data field. Actually it is not about new device version, I am sure it can be added to watch and inReach with software updates.