Snowflake with battery icon

I’ve had my Garmin mini off for about 8 months but have had it stored in my bedroom closet in dry bag the entire time. I just tried to turn it on and it displayed a battery icon with a snowflake. When I took it off of the charger and tried to turn it on, it displayed the Garmin screen and the SOS app test warning message and then immediately turned off again. Tried this multiple times. It’s still displaying the snowflake/battery icon when I plug it in. 

It’s never been within the temperature threshold that could give me that warning so I’m really confused and frustrated. 

• Please try updating the software on your inReach Mini using Garmin Express. Software version 2.80 corrected an issue with the device getting stuck on the snowflake screen. If you aren't able to complete the update, please contact Product Support

• I am getting the same thing after not using for several months -- snowflake and battery with exclamation mark. I plugged the device into my computer and updated the software to 2.80, but it's still doing this. I need the device for a trip tomorrow, didn't expect any issues like this...

• I have the same problem as 6016353 above. My Garmin InReach mini has been off since October 2019. I have a windows based Desktop I can connect the device to. How do I update the software? Thank you.

• Mini updates are handled by Garmin Express. Once you have it installed, start the program, plug in the device, and click the tile for the device.

Edited to add: download here www.garmin.com/.../

• Thank you but this snowflake icon will not allow me to charge the device and when I attempt to charge it my powerbank immediately turns off and the power bank is brand new, fully charged, and does not do this with other devices connected to it. I have installed the Garmin Express software on my desktop but when I connect the device Garmin Express cannot locate the device, because, it appears to have no charge on it. I didn't know safely storing a device and not using it for a good year would render it inoperable. I think I need to talk to Garmin support as I can see no way to charge the device in order to get the software updates I sorely need.

• Opening a support ticket is a good idea. But it’s the weekend, so nothing will happen until Moanday. Meantime, try plugging it into the dumbest wall wart you have. OR plug it into a PC. Either way, leave it plugged in even if it does not appear to be charging. With a completely dead battery, it takes a while before the device has enough power to even indicate that it is charging.

In view of the behavior of your power bank, you might also want to try a different cable.

• Thank you Twolpert. I have changed the cable and plugged in elsewhere and hopefully it will charge. I will log a support ticket tomorrow when support is open if I have no luck with this next suggestion. Many thanks.

• You were right twolpert. I used a different cable and while it didn't indicate mini was charging it is now fully charged. Was able to install Garmin Express on device for updates and snowflake icon fix, renewed my subscription, activated the device, and now ready to head to the Tasmanian wilderness with confidence. Much appreciated.