There was an error sending your message.

I have a strange problem. I'm trying to send weather data to a friend's inReach. For this we have thought of a data encoding, which he can then decode again at his place. I send the message via webinterface. Now I have a problem with the following message:

CKD/8Q}i-7b;Iq@e=h~us`b>.4 "Wk8^er;!Z6]&p3}(N7.~1,UfB`+(,pZWc|SKT>LN%Np0emWr~rmZTSQVW;Y?EU;sNrirt[(bz>[1t%5avKi;Pz2<}A7Yv%7e3#@/8o/LwzpeSbk<KUv<,qZrgBUuYklL]N<"2

In doing so, I get the error "There was an error sending your message.".
If I test sort the same characters then it works:

!""#%%&((+,,,-..///01122334567777888;;;;;<<<<=>>?@@ABBCDEIKKKLLLNNNNPQQSSSTTUUUVWWYYZZZ[[]]^``abbbbceeeeefghiiikkklmmoppppqqrrrrrrssttuuvvvwzzz|}}~~~

Of course the message is useless like this but it shows that it can't be the characters themselves but the combination. Can someone explain to me what the reason is?

• If you really want to know, you'll have to open a support ticket. I suspect that support will not be sympathetic, but it's worth a shot.

Since this is being sent via API, it MIGHT (and it would only be a guess) have something to do with violating the required format for the API input. 

• Thanks for your answer. Fun Fact: I couldn't submit the support ticket form with the text strings either (no error message - just didn't work). Had to delete the strings and then link it here. Hopefully this works.

• In the meantime, I even received a response from support. Unfortunately, this turns out as expected: We are not aware of any problem and it is not intended to send encoded messages. Case closed.

I have found several sources on the Internet that have the same problem. So there really seems to be a problem with special strings. There is also no simple work around and there is no list of critical combinations.

I solve the problem by using different character sets for encoding and telling with the first character in the message which one was used. After that you just have to try it via try & error on the web interface.

• this just shows how the todays technology is so badly used and people running current systems are not aware what potential is behind it and unused

over 20 years ago, we did operate tracking system which was able to transport highly compressed encoded data, encrypted as well. 32 byte message with position and movement information, 4 digital information and 3 analog measurements. Delivering with the old but simple LEO satellite network.