Inreach subscription?

Looking at finally activating my inreach. Trying to make sense of the two consumer plans: Safety $20/month or Recreation $45/month.

As near as I can tell the main differences are the safety provides 10 text messages and .15 for send/track & location requests.

For and extra $25 a month you get 30 more text messages and unlimited send/track points & location requests 

What am I missing? How often do you need to send track points or get location requests?

For those of you who have had to text. What we’re you texting about? How many texts did you send/receive?

Moderated to remove spam links. Likely this post is NOT a legitimate query for inReach information.

• This area is very subjective and depends on your particular circumstances and desires. I have the Safety Plan. I only send track points when I'm hiking alone in an unfamiliar or hazardous area, which is rare. My recipient has never used location requests.

I consistently send out a Preset Message (now called a Check In Message) when I first embark on the trail. I also consistently send out a Preset Message when I'm returning to my vehicle. On day hikes, I send out the third Preset Message every couple of hours just letting recipient know all is well, and it provides location data. When camping overnight I'll send additional Quick Texts informing my recipient about things like, made it to camp, getting ready for bed and powering down, a morning greeting, and hitting the trail again.

I inform my recipient prior to leaving not to respond to my texts unless necessary. I don't want them to acknowledge that I've embarked, I assume that they received the message. However, if they have a question or feel I need to be aware of something, they should text back. Also, on overnights, if they want to send me a message or two, that's okay.

• This is pretty much the way most people on the Safety plan use it.

Couple of notes.

The comment about "not responding to texts unless necessary"  - if they DO respond, the received message will be charged against your plan. Although it's not absolutely clear from the plan descriptions, the "text message limits" include both sent AND received messages (other than sent preset/check-in messages).

The comment about "only send track points when I'm hiking alone in an unfamiliar or hazardous area" is important. This is the situation where sent track points are invaluable. If you are incapacitated to the point where you cannot send an SOS, your last track point gives SAR a starting place.

IMO, location requests are effectively unusable. The point of a location request is for somebody at home to find your current location. In order for this to work at all, the device must be powered up and must have a clear view of the sky. Even then, the location request may not actually work. The device must CHECK for incoming messages in order to see and respond to the location request. This only happens when the device sends something, or on a mail check (manual or the automated once an hour check).