This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SMS Message Sent to Wrong Contact

InReach Explorer, Firmware 2.16 (125024)

Last weekend I sent a message to a contact who I'll call Contact01 and to map share. The message was received by another contact, Contact02 and map share. This caused some confusion and a little anxiety.

I double checked on my InReach, and it showed the message was sent to Contact01 as intended--I didn't accidentally tag the wrong contact. Strangely, in the Inbox tab of my account back on my computer, it showed it was sent to Contact02, which was exactly what happened.

I was fully synced up before the trip, and the correct SMS numbers were in the contact lists. I re-synced after this episode and sent a short message to see if it would happen again. It so far has not.

Has annybody else experienced this odd behavior?
  • Just to clarify: It's not the assignment of the outbound number (for SMS sent from the inReach) that "ages out". It's best to think of the selection of the outbound number as random for every single SMS message. It's the record of the combination of outbound number, recipient's number and the ID of the inReach device that eventually disappears. I want to be clear on that because it can cause problems with replies from a "stale" conversation on the recipient's phone.

For example, let's say that you send a message to somebody on March 1. They reply and you exchange a few more messages with them. Then nothing for a couple of months. On May 3, they know you're out in the field and need to reach you. They pull up the old SMS exchange on their phone, and reply to your last message. By then, it's possible that the record of their number, the number they're replying to (the number on which your original message was sent) and your inReach ID may be gone from the server. The reply will be undeliverable.

If you're going out into the back country and you think that somebody will need to reach you via SMS, it's best to "prime the pump" by sending them a message when you set out. That way, there's a fresh record of the combination of numbers and inReach ID - so that any replies in the next few weeks will be delivered.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yes - Garmin told me to just do a sync to fix the problem in the one helpful response I had from them before they decided they did not provide support. But unless I'm missing something a sync requires mobile coverage - which rules out it being possible in any situation in which I am using the InReach. Thanks for the explanation of how the SMS messaging works. I've noticed that all messages I send go out as the same Australian number - but since I use the device most weeks I guess the entry never gets time to 'age out' and I've kept the same originating number.

Just to fill in the story on Garmin / Pivotel support. Garmin, as stated above will not provide me with any support and say that my provider, pivotel, are responsible for that. Pivotel have been very helpful and have engaged in an extended dialog and troubleshooting process with me which has helped clarify (as detailed above) when the issue occurs. Pivotel are of the opinion, like yourselves, that there is an incompatability / bug in the earthmate software relating only to the 1.5 inreach. But as pivotel have no control over earthmate code (or the server-side software), they are unable to help further and suggest I talk to Garmin.

But I'm wondering if that (a bug) is the case - because if so, why aren't hundreds of other people complaining about the same issue - Garmin stated in their one helpful reply that 1.5 inreach still forms a big proportion of their user base (as in 'but no-one else has complained').

The other possible explanation is that there is simply some bad/corrupted server-side data specific to my account & contacts - which is not getting flushed out by a sync. That would explain why the issue is not more widespread. And would also explain why the original poster encountered something similar on a completely different device.

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions. I'll have another go at getting Garmin to provide some support, and if that fails, I guess I'll be paying to upgrade to a newer device, as everyone keeps suggesting.

I'm not entirely certain upgrading your device will solve the issue because the inReach is merely a smart relay. The real work happens in the background on the server. I just want to make sure expectations are set at the right level. The way to get around a server corruption, is to allow the old account expire and create a new account with a different email address... and I couldn't be certain what kind of trouble you might run into then with duplicate charge cards, user info, etc. Back in the day when DeLorme was still around, they would go to bat to fix your issue no matter how long it would take. It's frustrating to see Garmin drop the ball on this.
  • Long time Garmin user, brand new inReach owner/user here.

twolpert - Thank you! Your explanation of the server’s correlation of: [recipient SMS #]; [inReach device ID]; and [TEMPORARY sending SMS #], have clarified several assumptions I have been forming. My son is about to take the inReach to Africa on a medical research trip. Your advice to “prime the pump” with an initial SMS from the inReach is rock-solid. I could not figure out whether the “reply SMS” from my cell phone (to the inReach) was permanent.

I’m really confused why Garmin doesn’t just clarify this stuff...

madpom -
    But unless I'm missing something a sync requires mobile coverage - which rules out it being possible in any situation in which I am using the InReach.

I have no idea about the 1.5 device but there is a “sync” that can be done over Bluetooth between the Garmin inReach Explorer+ and my cell phone. It sounds like the 1.5 device does not retain a contact list so this might be irrelevant..
  • The inReach and the phone should automatically stay "in sync" with one another as long as they are connected by Bluetooth. However, the Sync button on the Account & Sync page (More -> Options -> Account & Sync) attempts to sync the phone (and, indirectly, the inReach) with the Garmin servers. That operation does require a cellular connection.