This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 5 with 13.40 update high battery drain

Yesterday I received the update 13.40 for my fenix 5 wifi (with sapphire glass). And the battery was discharged by 10% within 12 hours (no GPS usage today). The same problem existed before, but the firmware 12.30 fixed it. And the battery drain was OK about 7-10% within 24 hours.

Does anyone have any idea what to do? I have already restarted the watch, which did not help.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago in reply to AnatoliAngelov

How do you revert please?

• I've had this issue twice only. First time was after I charged the watch using a usb wall charger and not from a laptop. I don't believe it's actually high drain, rather incorrectly reported battery charge level.

The second time was after update to 13.30. Both times the problem was fixed by a power off/on and then a charge from a laptop.

Updated to 13.40 yesterday. Powered off and on afterwards and no issue.

• Thank! I will try first as you advised

• Same problem here, awful battery performance now, 57% yesterday afternoon, and today's morning, 11:00am, 37%, no exercise, no GPS use, nothing, terrible. How can I got back to previous software version? Garmin, fix this soon, this is one of my major motivation to have a Garmin, now I know it won't last for another day. Terrible

• Since I received the latests version on my Fenix 5, my battery has been draining like never before. Yesterday's afternoon my battery was at about 53%, 6:00pm. Today's morning, 11:00am, my battery is at 37%, this is wayyy much than usual. I need to get back to previous software version, and Garmin please fix this fast, battery life is one of my major motivations to have a Garmin and to recommend it.

• Same problem here, awful battery performance now, 57% yesterday afternoon, and today's morning, 11:00am, 37%, no exercise, no GPS use, nothing, terrible. How can I got back to previous software version? Garmin, fix this soon, this is one of my major motivation to have a Garmin, now I know it won't last for another day. Terrible

• The update process overwrites the existing satellite orbit almanac. So the first GPS activity after an update often suffers from poor GPS accuracy - especially if GPS conditions are challenging (eg. tall buildings, narrow valley). It takes about 13 minutes to download the almanac over the GPS signal itself, so subsequent activities should have normal accuracy.

• I have downloaded the latest beta and followed the instruction for installing it and after that reverting back to the official public release. Please note that you should first install the beta version and after that revert back to the official.

The text below is copied from here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663

In the latest beta archive, there is a System_Backdate_v1330 folder which contains the 13.30 version.

Installation Instructions

1. Download and unzip fenix_***Beta.zip
    2. Place the gupdate.gcd file, found in the System_v*** folder, into the \GARMIN folder of the device
    3. Place the gupXXXX.gcd file, found in the Sensor Hub_v*** folder, into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device
    4. Place the gupXXXX.gcd file, found in the GPS_v*** folder, into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device
    5. If you have a WiFi-enabled device, place the gupXXXX.gcd file, found in the WiFi_v*** folder, into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device
    6. Place all files found in the Text_v*** folder into the \Garmin\TEXT folder of the device
    7. Disconnect from your computer and proceed through the update.
    8. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, drop the gupdate.gcd file, found in the System_Backdate_v1250 folder, into the \GARMIN folder of the device.
    9. NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago in reply to AnatoliAngelov

Thanks

• after reverting do not plug your watch via USB cable to your computer with GE running otherwise it will get to the public version again.

Unfortunately Auto update option is only for GCM ... 

regards,