Wildly inaccurate step counts when using trekking poles!

Will there be a forthcoming fix to the Fenix 5, where it can accurately track steps when trekking poles are used? As of now, only about 30 percent of the steps are tracked, which is really inexcusable for a premium "Outdoor Recreation" wearable, especially for long-distance hikers and backpackers that use poles. Looking at past posts and talking with friends, Garmin has been aware of this issue for some time. Will it be fixed?

• Thanks Daniel. From what I’ve been able to test, using my left pole under-counts the distance by 5-10%; using both poles by 20-25%. Garmin have been totally useless in offering any advice

• I bought a Vivosmart 4 for the step count (and for body battery and SpO2 measurement). This is way better than using the Fenix exclusively.

• Interesting - I just want to stick with the one device. Garmin have now responded to be fair - but just suggesting I accurately measure my stride, and agreeing that putting the watch in my pocket is the only realistic option. I’ll need to keep usage of both poles to a minimum...

• Buy a Garmin Vivoki on eBay and put it on one shoe/boot or in a pocket; problem solved.  Keep your watch as your primary device in Connect and the Vivoki only does a differential count, so you don't end up with all the steps from your watch + all the steps from your Vivoki.  Did this for the Wonderland Trail a few years ago where I was using trekking poles about 3/4 of the time, worked perfectly.  Vivoki runs about $35 on eBay, only stays active when it's in use (so the battery lasts a LONG time).  If there's a drawback, it's that the Vivoki goes to sleep too fast, so if you're moving really slow - on an extreme, rocky downhill - it'll stay asleep and miss all the steps it would otherwise have counted.

• The Garmin Vivoki is no longer available, and the step count with poles is still not addressed as far as I can tell. As previous posts suggested, Garmin should provide a reasonable step count solution either through a data field, or an 'alpine walking' app. There should be no need to buy anything as an add on when we have all paid a premium for a multisport watch. I have had 4 Garmin watches and this is by far the most painful lack of action on an issue that will apply to anyone using two walking poles - and the use of these poles is increasing daily. Come on Garmin! Wake up.

• Completely agree! There should b an option w activity  to choose with or without poles. Or something  for safety minded hikers using these expensive tracking devices to track “steps accurately”

• You can also put the watch into the pocket, or attach it to the backpack strap. If you need to record the HR, then you can use a chest strap, or attach the watch to the ankle (but then it may not be easy to use it for the navigation Smiley)

When using hiking poles, the watch cannot sense the step you do while the pole is on the ground and the wrist wearing the watch is not free in the air. It means it only senses the pole hitting the ground, which is one half of the steps. Wearing it elsewhere on the body allows the watch to sense both feet hitting the ground.

• TY & I do understand what you are saying. However, the Garmin software can be (and should be) changed especially since they know  this is an issue & has been for a long time for people who use hiking poles. Its an "easy" fix for software genius. I am not interested in going backward & wearing a heart strap to record my heart rate or lose features on my watch because it has to be in my pocket to collect steps. That's ridiculous.  I bought an expensive watch (Epix Pro) expecting to be able to use hiking poles to "record" all of my steps. Honestly, Garmin has not been transparent to potential buyers about the lack of ability to "track accurate steps" while using trekking poles. Seems this watch is really not for "hikers". Very unfortunate. Garmin should do the right thing and fix this feature once & for all in 2023!

• Garmin has not been transparent to potential buyers about the lack of ability to "track accurate steps" while using trekking poles.

From the support article : 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=z1TfJCqajl8ZEZey72gg98#:~:text=Ensure%20Your%20Watch%20Is%20Set,setting%2C%20see%20your%20owner's%20manual