Aerobic or anaerobic zone? Look at the pictures!

Hello,

Can you help me because I don't understand these screens :(

How is it possible that I spend most of my running in the highest heart rate zone but training effect shows that I spend most of the time in aerobic heart rate zone?

What am I missing here? :(

Thanks for your suggestions! ;) ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1346845.png ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1346846.png
  • I thought lactate threshold started at 85% of MHR, and could be higher depending on fitness level.

I'd say both, its just down to what you use as the maxHR value. If you use the simple 220-age formula then for someone who exercises regularly the LT is going to start around 90%, which is where Zone 5 starts, that is what I believe Allan was referring to, since the original poster of the thread is using the 220-age formula for his zones, and most people probably do as well.

But since the 220-age formula will underestimate the maxHR, then for someone that exercises regularly if you use a more accurate maxHR value they what you say is true too, the LT is going to be lower than zone 5. In my case if I use the 220-age formula then my LT is at 92% of maxHR, but in reality its more likely to be bellow 90%.
  • I'd say both, its just down to what you use as the maxHR value. If you use the simple 220-age formula then for someone who exercises regularly the LT is going to start around 90%, which is where Zone 5 starts, that is what I believe Allan was referring to, since the original poster of the thread is using the 220-age formula for his zones, and most people probably do as well.

No, that was not what I was referring to. It is much less complicated:

When you use LTHR based zones - as the OP does - your zone 5 per definition begins at (the assumed) LTHR. Simple as that...
  • Hi Folks,

Looks to me like everything is working at it should.

Your Anaerobic Training Effect isn't dependent on the amount of time spent in your so-called "Anaerobic HR Zone(s)," and shouldn't be. The types of efforts that really tax (and therefore stimulate development of) your anaerobic performance capacity are those efforts where the demand for energy substantially increases beyond what your body can produce aerobically. To make up the difference your anaerobic energy system kicks in to make up the difference. Interval runs are great examples of this - and are typically well-rewarded by increase in your Anaerobic Training Effect.

As a rule of thumb, a workout that produces a good Anaerobic Training Effect will have lots of (big) ups and down in the HR graph, which represent changes in in training intensity that your body needed to navigate.

C966 is pretty much on point with his/her comments above, so have a good read of those.

Although, again, it isn't so much about how close you get to your HRmax, but rather how big the jump was to get there and how quickly you got up there that counts.

I'll link a helpful chart that reveals some common training activities and 'expected' Aerobic and Anaerobic Training Effect feedback.

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/anaerobic-training-effectworkout-explanations/
  • Do you want it to be Anaerobic or Aerobic?

If you want to be Anaerobic, go flat-out as hard as you possibly can for a short time (20-60 seconds) which should get your heart-rate up into the red zone, then walk/rest until your heart rate goes back into the green or blue zone, then go flat-out as hard as you possibly can again for 20-60 seconds and just continue doing like that.

This is my Brazillian JuJitsu training. I wasn't doing interval training (like I described above), but it was similar because we would train hard, then rest, then train hard, then rest.

• You're a hero, Gronk!

A picture is worth a 1000 words, and that's the perfect example of the type of (non-running) training session that cranks out a high anaerobic training effect.

I'm going to stick that in my example folder.
  • You're a hero, Gronk!

A picture is worth a 1000 words, and that's the perfect example of the type of (non-running) training session that cranks out a high anaerobic training effect.

I'm going to stick that in my example folder.

Hehe. Thanks, I guess. :) Glad it helped.

There's obviously a lot of "unreadable gaps" in that graph though. I suspect it's just due to positions in JuJitsu that made it unreadable.
  • Out of curiosity... did you record that session using a chest belt or with the onboard optical HR-sensor ?
  • Out of curiosity... did you record that session using a chest belt or with the onboard optical HR-sensor ?

There's no way I could wear a watch during JuJitsu. I was using a chest strap: the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor.

I seem to remember hearing it can miss a bit of data here or there if you're bending over or something, I don't know.

• P.S. ... do you think it may have read as such a high aneorobic score just because of the "gaps" in the data make it look like my heart-rate is going from 70 to 160 and back to 70 every 20 seconds? :D
  • Thanks for all your answers and explanations :-)

Anyway it still seems strange to me that my HR (around 180 which is almost my max HR) is not anaerobic
    :)