Leather strap - does it stink? :)

Hi folks

Question for those who have used leather straps extensively on their Garmin watches - do they stink & or become very tattered after extensive use?

I have a F5X with the standard black silicone strap. Thinking of getting a leather strap but am concerned that as my 24/7 strap it will quickly start to smell and get very tattered.

I can't be bothered changing bands so am looking for a 24/7 wear option. I train 6-7 days a week (mainly running and occasionally swimming and cycling) so lots of sweat, rain, water, chlorine.

Real world experiences welcome :)

Many thanks
  • Garmin understands how it might be used. I had their leather strap for the fenix /3hr and it never became manky, unlike every other cloth or leather strap I've tried.
  • Garmin understands how it might be used. I had their leather strap for the fenix /3hr and it never became manky, unlike every other cloth or leather strap I've tried.

Dammit, you just pushed me closer to spending another $100 or so on the leather strap! :D

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Me and a friend used to wear leather straps for the Fenix 3 watches 24/7. They soon began to stink to point over being an environmental hazard.
    I'm ordering one for the 5X now hoping they will not stink when not wearing them during workout. It was too cumbersome swapping the old straps just for a workout.
  • If concerned about using a leather strap long term why not buy the metal band.
    It takes less than 10 seconds to swap the silicone strap.
  • I used 2 Garmin leather bands on my F3. They soon began to smell and started to look very used. Ended up buying a "Hirsch Heavy Calf" strap. Bonus point was the 100m water resistance. No problems with that one, plus it had a better look.
  • If concerned about using a leather strap long term why not buy the metal band.
    It takes less than 10 seconds to swap the silicone strap.

I've had a metal band on my F3. Was not a fan as there was no give when my wrist shrank or expanded.

As far as swapping bands, I just can't be bothered. I'll be swapping them literally daily. Twice a day, 6 days a week.
  • I've had a metal band on my F3. Was not a fan as there was no give when my wrist shrank or expanded.

As far as swapping bands, I just can't be bothered. I'll be swapping them literally daily. Twice a day, 6 days a week.

If you can't be bothered with swapping straps daily (it couldn't be easier with the quick fit bands now) then you either get to live with the sport band or the stink/mange of the leather. No leather band I've ever attempted to use as my 24/7 (including runs/swims/showers/yard work/truck work/etc) ever held up for long without looking and smelling like a piece of overcooked bacon eventually. A metal band would hold up to the moisture better but obviously has it's disadvantages with weight for workouts. If you do end up going with the leather band, I'd probably suggest washing it in fresh water immediately following any workout so the sweat doesn't have a chance to set in
  • I've had a metal band on my F3. Was not a fan as there was no give when my wrist shrank or expanded.

I had the old metal band for the F3HR, and I have the new metal band for the 5x. I know exactly what you mean about the old band. I ended up having to err on the side of being too loose because otherwise it was too tight. The new metal band has a different clasp mechanism and is highly adjustable so that you can find the perfect fit. Once you remove the links, the clasp has a spring that you can press in to make further micro adjustments to the fit. The new metal band and quick fit system are great for swapping bands for work and workouts.
  • I have the leather band on order and plan on swapping to the silicone strap when doing activities, it's hard to believe with the ease of changing the QuickFit bands that the 5-10 seconds it takes to change would be a bother IMHO
  • I have the leather band on order and plan on swapping to the silicone strap when doing activities, it's hard to believe with the ease of changing the QuickFit bands that the 5-10 seconds it takes to change would be a bother IMHO

^^^The new quick fit bands are arguably one of the nicer improvements over the F3 (at least until a lot of the FW bugs get worked out). I have several different colors of the sport bands that I change out between work and activities just because it's so easy!