Step (Steps) Counter way off / inaccurate

The step counter is way off on my new Garmin Fenix 5 by so much it's hard to even put a percentage on it...20%, 40% at times. A 25 step count from the driveway to the front door this morning accumulated 40 steps on the device. Today has been a ho-hum day. I walked 1 1/2 miles with the dog, did some weight lifting and indoor cycling. My step counter shows 8,691 at 5:00 this evening...way too high!

I've been an avid and active Vivoactive HR user until I got the Fenix 5 this week. Comparing history between the two devices shows about a 20% increase in steps but I know I haven't increased my activity correspondingly.

Is the Fenix 5 going to be inherently inaccurate when it comes to steps, maybe I should see if a software update fixes it, or maybe I have a defective device.

Any thoughts or other observations?
  • The steps algorithm is designed so that it'll register steps while walking on treadmill so it will do the same on an elliptical as long you're not holding on to the stationary handles. So it would make sense if it picked them up if you're swinging your arms in a walking manner while on a stationary bike. Even though you might think that they would ignore that function when any of the bike apps were in use.
  • Fenix 5 Step Accuracy ( too high )

The steps algorithm is designed so that it'll register steps while walking on treadmill so it will do the same on an elliptical as long you're not holding on to the stationary handles. So it would make sense if it picked them up if you're swinging your arms in a walking manner while on a stationary bike. Even though you might think that they would ignore that function when any of the bike apps were in use.

Thank you! That's probably partly why the step count is SO LARGE then. And you're right. If I start a bike activity (and it doesn't matter whether I am indoors or outdoors) and I swing my arms...the step counter kicks in. I don't think that makes alot of sense. If I have specifically said I want to be spinning at a stationary bike and would like to motion my arms back and forth while spinning it shouldn't be adding steps in addition to the spinning. My connect app will then say I gone say 10 miles on a bike plus whatever I have accumulated for the faux steps.

Do you think I'm right? Am I missing something there?
  • So wht is that VAHR and how do i turn it off? Same problem too many steps. Even when i woke up i had already 8 steps...maybe im a sleep walker?... :-)