HR watches & Nato straps

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all.

I'm seriously considering getting the 5X and if I do I will be using a Nato/Zulu strap with it.

Now many watches these days have wrist based HR sensors and I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any company that makes a Nato/Zulu straps with a space already cut into them for the sensor.

I've seen diy attempts at them so I know I can make them myself but I would prefer to buy a professionally made one if they exist.

I'm in the UK by the way.

Thanks all.
  • Why not reach out to one of the companies that make them and ask? Since the premise behind these straps is that they are one continuous piece, it may well not be something that has come to mind for them.

This company is in the UK - https://www.watchbands.co.uk/NATO-and-ZULU/ as a search of the interweb would tell you.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Thanks, yes I can do that.

I was just merely enquiring in case someone already knew of a company and as I'm unsure if I'm getting the watch it would be premature for me to reach out to companies but asking on a forum I thought might be ok.
  • I'm following the same path as you - 5X with NATO/ZULU straps.

* The 5X doesn't have the same HR sensor bump as the 3HR, I'm slightly concerned the sensor therefore will be not "poke through" the hole in the strap (and not make sufficient contact with my wrist to work). I am willing to try it and see what happens. I'll let you know.
    * I am confident (perhaps overly so) that I can cut the hole
    * There are plenty of two-piece NATO straps around that will neatly avoid the need for hole-cutting around the HR sensor. But I'm sticking with my purist intent.
    * Technically speaking, a 3-ring ZULU strap will work better than a 5-ring NATO strap, because the Zulu will have one layer of strap over the sensor, whilst the NATO will have two-layers.

I'm so bored waiting for my 5X, I've started ordering straps 5-8 weeks early. I just ordered a customized version of this strap from the maker:
    - 26mm
    - red stitching
    - 3-ring zulu configuration
    - enough strap to fold over and through the rings
    - black PVD hardware

http://www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com/shop/4577904755/black-rubber-rally-tropic-nato/10675525

R.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Thank you.

I don't think cutting the hole will be hard as long as the knife is sharp and the edges are sealed/melted. I was just hoping that a company, now that wrist based HR sensors are becoming common, would have gained an edge on the competition.

The 3 ring is what I would go for as well, not only less work but less distance from the sensor to the wrist.

As for ordering the straps before getting the watch, I'm not even 100% certain I'm getting the 5X yet and I'm looking at 26mm straps to buy now :D

Hopefully a company will take the initiative and everyone will follow soon after.

Thanks again.
  • The reason I like a NATO strap is the relative improvement in loss protection (a break of one pin does not result in the loss of the watch.) You lose this with a 2-piece strap of ANY kind. There may be no (rational) way around that with the HRM in the watch, simply on the mechanics of it.....
  • The reason I like a NATO strap is the relative improvement in loss protection (a break of one pin does not result in the loss of the watch.) You lose this with a 2-piece strap of ANY kind. There may be no (rational) way around that with the HRM in the watch, simply on the mechanics of it.....

Since springbars ("pins") are not used on fenix watches in favor of solid screwbars, this fear largely disappears.

HTH
  • Since springbars ("pins") are not used on fenix watches in favor of solid screwbars, this fear largely disappears.

HTH

I was overly harsh about this:
    That's not right, is it? With a full NATO strap, if one pin breaks, the NATO strap will still be securely wrapped on the wrist, and the watch will be dangling from the one remaining pin (that is: not lost).

I think the truth is - as mentioned by others - the Fenix 3 or 5 screw-in bars are sturdy things, not at all like the traditional spring bars found on most watches. Any one-piece NATO or ZULU strap offers some additional security, perhaps unlikely to be really needed though.

R.

R.
  • I think the meaning is that solid screw bars might be deemed less likely to break than spring pins.
  • Quite. I had a NATO strap on my 310xt because the spring pins on that were pretty weedy. On the F3, the strap itself is more likely to part than the bars.
  • On the F3, the strap itself is more likely to part than the bars.

True, but I still love that rugged appearance of true NATO strap. I recognize in this case, a ZULU one will be a beter solution for the 'hole' issue. 😜.