Fitness, training load etc inconsistent across devices (F5+ and Edge 1030)

Using a F5+ and Edge 1030, with Physio TrueUp on.

What seems to work:

• Each of the devices show the same as Connect app (for that device).
  • Activity history for each device shows the same (including activities recorded on the other device, so they are sync'ing).
  • VO2 values for both running and cycling reported as the same, across each device and Connect app.

What doesn't seem to work / I don't understand:

• Each device shows a different load (albeit consistent between the device and Connect, for that device) - how can that be?
  • Why does the Connect app have the option to pick which device to look at MY performance? There's only one of me - shouldn't make a difference which device - all the data should be pooled and the output the same?

Am I missing something? I realise certain devices have features others don't, for example the 1030 supports Load Focus whereas the F5+ annoyingly doesn't, yet this shouldn't matter to the basics - the overall load is still the same.

• Welcome to the black hole or blind spot or whatever metaphor you want to choose for Garmin. Despite their unclear marketing on "Physio True Up", they are a device obsessed and device focused company, despite having a central app and backend. Instead of acting like a platform, the back end algorithms seem to be handcuffed to individual devices.

Software wise I think it would be fairly simple to change the backend algos to be tied to an individual instead of a device. But they have no incentive to do that since all their revenue and profits are probably tracked internally on a per device basis. The only way the incentives would probably change would be if they were to change the back-end to a real platform, and maybe tie some recurring revenue to it. Like maybe charge a subscription fee for the platform that can run the FirstBeat algos for any activity data fed in from any device, even non-Garmin, and then maybe waive the fees if the data is from a Garmin device. Or make the devices cheaper but then charge for the platform part.

Anyway, this is all speculation on my part, but is the story that makes sense to me. Garmin as usual will never respond to any of this and just continue on their merry way as people keep buying their devices with all the limitations of the algorithm being tied to a device as opposed to a real platform.

• By the way, what firmware version are you on for the 5 plus? Ever since I upgraded to 14.0, my 5 plus doesn't seem to record any exercise load for the activities I record on it, thus in Garmin Connect none of those activities contribute to Training Status as far as I can see. A real bummer. Garmin customer support has acknowledged the bug, but as usual complete silence on any timeline for fixing it. Thus my only Training Status contribution seems to be coming from bike rides I do on my Edge 530 whether indoor on a smart trainer or outside.

• @simonw500

What you are experiencing between your Fenix 5 Plus and your Edge 1030 is a known issue due to a newer vs. older difference in how the training load is calculated by each device. I am sending you a Private Message to collect more information and to get you added to that case.

• Hi, is there also a case for the fact that, as multiple people have reported, the Fenix 5 Plus has stopped reporting any exercise load at all since the upgrade top firmware 14.0. thus leading to a training status of not enough data ? I wonder if it needs me to do a run outdoors to trigger a reset or something, lately due to weather for the past couple of months all my Fenix 5 plus activities have been indoors, all outdoors ones have been bike rides on my Edge 530 . Thanks.

• In the last 6-8 weeks, I have a Training Load not showing conversation with ~2-3 customers across both the Fenix 5 series and Fenix 5 Plus series but with no direct pattern to the last software updates released to both series.

In the direct customer interactions I have had, after reviewing their Garmin Connect account, those reporting the issue did not have enough qualifying outdoor run or bike activities to maintain their Training Load. As the seasons change to warmer, I expect and hope to see anyone that has concerns, able to see their Training Load appear again.

• Thanks, that is the first I've heard from anyone that it may be related to lack of outdoor activities. But as noted above, I have plenty of outdoor bike rides on my Edge 530. With PhysioTrueUp enabled, shouldn't those count towards Training Status on the watch also?

• In any case will try doing a few outdoor runs soon using the watch.

• This is not the case, no outdoor activities are required, it should sync up the training load, status and recovery time from from the edge 1030 and the indoor training that I do. 

It just stopped working for no apparent reason two months ago and now shows nothing, please do something about the broken backend. Praying and anticipating that it will resolve itself for us does not help and this is clearly not the case.

• Agreed Rob. Function appeared to be broken with introduction of FW14. I have plenty of qualifying activities and there is no syncing of training load from my edge 1030 to my F5+. It is a widespread issue, not limited to ~2-3 people at all judging from all the comments on various posts.

• Just adding a "me too" to this thread as well.

Edge 1030 with 11.10 (same problem 11.00) and my Fenix 5S Plus is running 14.00. Problem started as soon as I upgraded the Fenix to 14.00.