Fenix 5 Plus Series - ANT/BLE/BT v6.09 Beta

Hello Fenix 5/5S/5X Plus users,

We have a new beta update for the ANT/BLE/BT software for your devices, version 6.09. This update contains a fix for battery drain that could occur after playing music.

Fenix 5 Plus ANT/BLE/BT: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15292

This does not include a system software update - it only updates the ANT/Bluetooth peripheral software. This update is applicable to all Fenix 5 Plus models (5s Plus, 5 Plus, and 5x Plus). Instructions for installation are available below the change log on the page linked above.

ANT/BLE/BT v6.09 Change Log:

• Fix battery drain after music playback

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the fenix 5 Plus series you have in the subject line.

• With software version 12.00 and BLE/ANT 5.04...

Battery drain is between 0.1% - 0.2% per hour for me without activity using an inbuilt watchface on my 5x plus, with no seconds. 

Its 0.1% - 0.3% per hour with a complicated CIQ watchface with weather etc... (sparkface International) with night time low power mode,and no seconds. 

Normal as expected battery drain before and after activity using music.

Superb battery consumption overall... I think I'll stick with 5.04.

looking at the comments, it looks like 6.09 beta is doing its job though. : -) 

• There was an update on Garmin Connect for IOS, I have a feeling that the connection is more stable. The problem of high battery consumption when using the music function I will observe today, because today I did a workout in which I used HRM Tri and Music. Detail that I uninstalled Spotify because I always had problems connecting the headset (Pamu) with Spotify and the same problem does not occur when using the default Garmin application.

Has anyone done the update and noticed improvement?

• Hi folks. 

Thought I"d share my experience so far. 

Experienced severe battery drain on firmware 13.00 and the ANT/BLE/BT drivers that came with it. (In the past I've restarted the watch after a firmware upgrade and have avoided this issue - that didnt stop the issue this time.)

Upgraded to 6.09 yesterday, recharged to 100%, went for a run yesterday with a HRM-Run, bluetooth headphones playing mp3s stored on the F5 plus.

Battery drained about 13% for the run. Left the watch overnight with a connectiq watchface - I use the awesome AlphaZulu watchface

This morning the battery is at 81%.

Seems like the connection to my iphone xr is more stable. It's been patchy on v13.00 - I've always had the odd issue, but it has been worse lately. The iphone threw up a message asking to allow BT connections - that may be ios upgrade related, but after that it does seem better. (again, just an observation - no methodical testing on this)

tl;dr - Seems 6.09 works for me, and is worth trying if you're experiencing battery drain.

Hope that helps.

• Yesterday checked. Running with music. After stop activity and music the battery is stable. 12 hours with 0.4% per hour

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Data

Hello Twinaxx! Thank you for sharing this. You mention your phone, headphones and another BLE sensor. What is the other BLE sensor you are using?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to ilsalgo

Hey ilsalgo, thank you for posting! Have you by chance tried replacing the battery in your HRM-Run? If you have tried that, did you try un-pairing and then re-pairing?

• I have changed 2 battery and reset the watch, but nothing.

• Seems to of fixed it for me, although I've not used any 3rd party apps since the beta update.

• Still getting disconnection from my phone with this driver have to reboot my phone to get it to connect, worked fine before fw 13.00 and what ever bt driver came with that fw.

• I have this issue after playing music, battery drain is 5% an hour even though the watch isn't being used. My temporary workaround is restarting the watch after playing music. 

I opened a case on the 27th August with Garmin and not heard anything back so far. 

I'll install the update and see how it goes.