Replacement for battery for Fenix 5 Plus

The battery in my Fenix 5 Plus is losing capacity gradually. Instead of 4 days on a charge when I got it (it was pre-owned) it now has to be charged every 2 days (with similar usage). As it has no warranty I'll be replacing the battery myself, and I see some batteries available of the right type/model number (361-00097-00 Model ASDB402334-P1) but they are always listed as suitable for Fenix 5, 5s and 5X. 5 Plus is not mentioned. Batteries that are listed as suitable for the 5 Plus are used, and I don't want a used one. So I wonder if anyone has replaced their battery with a new one, and if so, what battery did you use and where did you order it from?

• batteries age naturally with time due decay of the molecular structure, with charging and letting it drop down to 0. So in a few years a rechargable battery depending use can go down in quality/capacity quite a bit. Droplet charging should hardly affect capacity/lifetime.

App use is something to consider, some apps and watchfaces do drain the battery too quick, for me with unknown reasons.

• Artem

I had posted a question about the daily consumption of 5x battery vs the 5 battery before your re-appearance in this thread.

See “

Artem,4 or 5 days ago I read your original post about putting 5X battery into the 5 case.  You mentioned the hourly discharge rate in the very short term, just right after the replacement.

Can you please elaborate that what is your normal daily or hourly discharge rate for a little longer term? Averaging for the past 4-5 days.”

Can you please elaborate how much is it? Whether it makes sense to put a bigger battery to 5 plus in a case when your factory battery is not dead yet?

• bigger (in capacity) is always better, but in the end it should be able to fit in and there is not a lot of play I think in terms of physical dimensions. I replaced one in my old Garmin Fenix 3 and it had good battery life again to survive a long day in the mountains, yet a few days later I found a 33% larger capacity battery on the internet with the same dimensions. I would have bought that one instead. if it can have a 16 hour instead of  a 12 hour activity it would be better.  

In any case I change it in general before going on holidays where i will likely be engaged in long duration activities, at home I can handle by just recharging it. I think If I have to recharge it every other day I will consider changing it even before

• I would hope better battery life. I did not check it, but it is said before here that 5x/5x+ battery has an appr. 1.5 times bigger capacity vs 5/5+ battery.

So this bigger battery should give “upto 29.5 hours” instead of the official “upto 19 hours”.

Since the real life of my present battery is between 8 and 16 hours depending  on the temperature and the datafields (factory vs ciq), moreover it is more than a year old, the new battery should give me  at least 12 hours in the winter using ciq datafields, and above 20 hours in the summer independently from my settings.

I never used music, only use gps, no glonass any more, more ant+ sensors in case of all the activity profiles.

So my biggest “enemy” is the ambient temperature. My F5+ cannot stand it, it is very strange that my old F3Hr suffered much less extra battery discharge than F5+. Eg. if F3hr needed 6%/h at 20 C degrees and 8% at 0 C degrees, than even if F5+ needs 6% at 20 deg,  but 10-12% at 0 deg.

So my finding is that for some reason the battery of F5+ is very bad at low temperatures, as if it was made of different materials.

• Hi there and thanks for your post, is there any chances you add some pictures from the replacement from a battery type 361-00097-00 (Fenix 5) for a  type 361-00098-00 (Fénix 5X)?

When you said you

Then I leveled the height using a micro file.

Do you mean you leveled the battery? You removed the plastic protection or you leveled the mettalic bottom of the watch? Did you add any waterproof problem or any warm problem? or any problem at all?

I'd like to do it :) i'll be very glad for any information you could give me (drawing, explication details, pictures video... anything :) ! )

Thanks again for your contribution

• Hi Rony, have you tried that replacement (5X battery into a 5) and/or have you got some more insights to share? Or anyone else?

I intend to do the same, for the same reasons mentioned by F0RUM MEMBER above, but I find it hard to trust battery capacity and dimensions, when stated, on ebay/aliexpress, and also hard to evaluate how much extra room there is for the battery in my F5+.

Here's the data I could gather so far:

Battery

Capacity Dimensions

361-00098-00
    (replacement for Fenix 5X/5X+)

410mAh 27.40 x 25.26 x 5.00mm
    361-00097-00
    (replacement for Fenix 5/5+)
    230 mAh 34.54 x 22.62 x 4.50mm
    Actual battery inside a Fenix 5+ 255 mAh 32.5 (and shorter on the rounded corners) x 22.4 x 3.8mm