This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Allergic reaction to 5X+ strap loops

For the past 4½ months I have worn a Fenix 5X+ black, sapphire, with the black silicone strap. A month ago, I started getting an allergic reaction just under the two strap loops. It was so strong that the skin started peeling.

After some time of switching back and forth between my left and right arm, I finally got around to removing the strap loops. This is of course quite annoying because of the dangling strap end (which I have not secured with a piece of cloth), but the skin irritation disappeared almost immediately, and I can now comfortably wear the watch without any issues.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

• Garmin will want to know about this, so best to call their support phone number. Meanwhile, you are not alone, as a few have reported similar issues on the fenix 5 plus forum.

Skin irritation - did I find the solution?
  • I have seen the treads about irritation coming from the watch body. I have not seen any treads on irritation coming from the silicone strap.
  • Regardless of where it's coming from, Garmin will want to know about your issue. Suggest calling them, then please report back. Thanks.
  • I'm not commenting on the OP's situation, which sounds like an allergy, but want to point out that sometimes reactions people have to something against their skin is irritation, rather than an allergy. This sort of irritation isn't caused by the material itself, just the fact that sweat and bacteria and other things are trapped between the object and the skin. I can't wear any watch 24/7, because the skin under the watch gets irritated. It's happened with many different watches, so it's not likely an allergy. Same thing can happen with elastic in underwear.

Again, there are certainly cases which are actual allergies, but sometimes it's just the case that a person's skin won't put up with being covered for a long period of time, especially if they're active and sweating.
  • This is why I use the leather bands instead of the rubber ones. I seem to not have this issue with the leather.
  • https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5-5s-plus/1383937-5-bands-vs-5x

Here is my same post about this. Nothing ever came about it. I moved over to a 2 piece nato style band and never had another issue. I've also worn the new apple watch for a month straight only to take it off to charge and put it back on and never had a rash. It's only the orange band that came with the 5 Plus no other bands.
  • I'm having that problem with my 6X Pro silicone strap.  I now take it off at night to let my skin breath and recover.  I don't think it's an allergy but maybe sweat or constant friction.  I'm going to try some lotions or eventually try some other strap material.  I was switching wrists every day but both my wrists became irritated in certain areas.  Where the  fenix metal touched was perfectly fine but where the strap touched it kept getting irritated and the skin darkened and started peeling. So annoying.  I'm 71 years-old so maybe my skin is just sensitive.  Time will tell as I will keep experimenting with different things like tape under the strap.  I never had a problem with any Garmin strap before.

• My wife has continual problems - but she has hyperkeratosis (basically very fast growing skin) so her pores are always blocked and as a result bacteria can grow quickly. She's had to use antibac constantly but this isn't just restricted to Garmin - every device she's owned has given a similar problem. Do you have any pre-existing skin conditions?

• No, I don't have any pre-existing skin condition that I know of.  I think maybe the silicone strap is just too rough for my skin.  I've worn other watch bands before and they never had any effect on my skin.  I always used to wear Casio solar G-Shock watches but those had metal bands and they didn't affect my skin at all.  I always thought my skin was tough because I never had any problems with it.  As I said, I'm simply going to do some experimentation.  I see there is are nylon bands and leather bands for the fenix on Amazon and I may give them a shot if the Garmin silicone band doesn't work out.  I could also go with a metal band, so there are lots of options for me.