Fenix 5 Plus - Wifi Broken - WIFI Software reporting 655.35

Hi,

Today i finally recieved my new Garmin Fenix 5+
I wanted to install Spotify and it told me it needed a software update. I updated to 6.00 using Express.
I was able to install the Spotify app, but the watch gives me a huge headache when trying to setup Wi-Fi.
Literally tried everything. Express, Connect. Automatic search does not find a single network (does not even list), a manually setup network freezes the watch (needs a hard reset then) when trying to connect.
I then had a look into the about dialog and it shows:

GPS: 2:30
WIFI: 655.35 (shouldn't that show 2.50; at least it said it updates to 2.50)
CIQ: 3.0.4
WHR: 20.03.32
ANT/BLE/BT: 3.20
Sensor Hub: 2.30

Does someone has any idea how I can fix this?

Pretty annoyed, as all of the 5 Garmin watches I had before worked flawlessly and this one was by far the most expensive one.

Thanks!

• Heath

I have just forwarded all my GARMIN folder to Garmin support (if you have access to tickets queue - you can look for my e-mail address there). 

I do not know how to help re-create the problem, as I have said - it most likely was introduced with 6.00 update and stays since then. 

Just for purpose of collecting data for Garmin Support I have connected watch to Garmin Express. It stated that WiFi needs to be updated, I accepted the updated - it was done (no error messages) - and nothing has changed - Wifi version is still 655.35. 

• Hi bgrenda!

I have also problems with the wifi connection to any network.

The F5x+ Always answers with "wrong Password"

The only solution for me was switching of the entire WPA WPA2 security of my router and then establish a new Connection to the F5x+.

This is of course no "solution" as I am not willing to have an unsecure network running.

In my opinion the issue lies with the record of the WiFi Password in the F5x+. Somehow it seems to deliver corrupt values, when connecting to your Network.

Beta: 7.55

GPS:2.50

Wi-Fi: 2.50

CIQ: 3.0.11

BMX: 0.4.3

WHR: 20.03.32

ANT/BLE/BT: 3.60

Sensor Hub: 2.40

Brgds,

Claus 

• This seems like totally different root cause than in my case - which is somehow corrupted WiFi driver which cannot be replaced/updated (or - as some suggested - maybe even broken WiFi chip). I waiting now for Garmin Support response - lets see how it will proceed. 

• I do not live in the US nor do I own a Fenix device however I experience exactly the same problem on a Garmin Edge 820 cycling computer. In my case it happened somewhere around upgrading to Firmware 11.10 or 11.20 from the previous one. (Around august 2019)

In the meantime I contacted the (Dutch) customer support but they cannot provide me with a definite answer. (They are willing though to swap devices on good terms as it's out of warranty.)

Of course I tried several factory resets (SW as well as the button combinations). Tried several downgrades of software. (But this apparently does not downgrade GPS firmware!)

The following versions are displayed:

Softwareversion: 11.20 (Tried several from 8.00 - 12.10)

GPS-version: 2.50

TSC version: 85.22.00

WLAN Software Version 655.3 (With software 12.10 it says version 655.35)

I would like to know if Garmin found a cause for this "invalid" WLAN software version number other than the Wifi chip in the device being unservicable.

• I have the same issue on my 6X Pro. I also have issues with my computer not recognizing my watch when I plug it in. It works about once in a month worth of tries. When I finally got it to connect today, I did the beta 8.0 download. I deleted the file in the WIFI folder too

• Do you have some progreews about wifi problem with version 655.35?