How to enter Longitude and Latitude position

Hello,

I have a problem, that I need some help with.
I need to enter a shelter position into my Fenix 5, that is given in Longitude and latitude.
The idea is, that I would like to have the position saved onto the watch, and then during an activity, navigate to that position.

I have done this with positions given in other formats like hddd°mm.mmm and other formats, but I cant figure out how to change it, so that I can input the position in Longitude and latitude format.

Any ideas?
  • Hello,
    I have done this with positions given in other formats like hddd°mm.mmm and other formats, but I cant figure out how to change it, so that I can input the position in Longitude and latitude format.

That is a lat/long format ...

• I think you should give us an example of the latitude and longitude you are trying to enter. Make sure to write all the characters you see, including ' and '' and . and °.

As Sussamb points out, the format you previously used in the watch was also a latitude/longitude format. So it may only be a question of the notation being a bit different, or the use of decimals being different.
  • Fair enough.

This is the position Info I have from the shelter location
    Degrees Lat Long
    Longitude : 9.7331559
    Latitude : 54.90231878

I expect that to be equal to:
    Longitude : N9.7331559°
    Latitude : E54.90231878°

But, how do I enter those into the Fenix 5. My current format in the Fenix 5 is hddd°mm.mmm
    I suspect I need to convert them to Degrees Minutes or Degrees Minutes Seconds
  • Hey, that is my home address! I have no shelters in my garden, but you are welcome to pitch a tent.

Joke aside:
    Your assumptions about the format seem correct to me, except that you have switched E and N. You have two options:
    1. Change the format in your watch.
    2. Convert the values to the format your watch is using.

Re. 1:
    Go into Settings | System | Format | Pos. Format | Format
    Select hddd.ddddd°

Re. 2:
    You can convert from hddd.ddddd° to hddd°mm.mmm' this way:
    Replace the numbers before the decimal point with a 0 and multiply the result by 60.
    Use the result as the mm.mmm' part of your input.
    And use the numbers you replaced by 0 as the ddd° part of your input.

Example, using your longitude:
    Replace the first 9 in 9.7331559 with a 0: 0.7331559
    Multiply by 60: 60 * 0.7331559 = 43.989
    So the result becomes 9°43.989'

Then we only need the N/S E/W part. I don't know if there is any generally recognized standard for the orientation of positive/negative coordinates. But Google uses this:
    Longitude negative: W
    Longitude positive: E
    Latitude negative: S
    Latitude positive: N

So the final result becomes E 9°43.989'

Using the same calculation, your latitude becomes N 54°54.139'

...which is approximately 25 km east and 65 km south of my garden, estimating by the difference in coordinates...
  • Hi Allan,

Yes, you are right. I suspect with your username, that you live en the same country as I am.
    The shelter location is for one of the shelters on the "Gendarmstien". I plan to run the whole 84km Gendarmsti in a few weeks, with two shelter stays during the trip.

Thank you for clarifying the conversion. I didn't know that it was so simple to do actually, so that is now noted for future conversions.

You are also correct about me switching the N and E orientations, it was just to see if you were awake ;-)

Thank you for you're input. I now have my 2 shelter locations saved to my watch, thanks to your explanation.