Stuck in diagnostics menu

Following an easy 42 minute dive yesterday my mk1's down button stopped working, I tried to restart the watch but instead of starting as normal it went straight into a 14 option diagnostics menu and had been like that since.

I filled out the contact form on Garmin's website, the auto response email I received said they may take 5-10 did business days to reply, so there goes my expensive Maldivian dive holiday spent using a not so cheap rented dive computer from the resort.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Please help!

Top Replies

All Replies

• The proposal of repair for $985 is indeed ridiculous. First of all, I'd try deblocking the button by letting the watch couple of hours in fresh water, or even better in distillated water - perhaps it is really caused just by salt deposits. Perhaps using WD40 could help too, but it could also cause some damage, so I would only use it in the last desperate attempt.

If nothing helps, sell the watch on eBay to someone in the USA, where the repair cost would be much lower. On eBay I often see completed sales of damaged units for amounts that always surprise me. So if you manage to sell the device for ~$500 - $600 (what I do not consider impossible), then you can buy a completely new MK2 and it will be still less expensive than repairing the damaged MK1.

• Hi, I am exactly in the same situation.

This is clearly a firmware issue. I got exactly into the same situation when I restarted the watch between dives cause it was not responsive.

Given that we get into this problem when restarting in dive mode, This really looks like a firmware problem

Let's see how can we solve it

• This is clearly a firmware issue.

It could be also a stuck button keeping you entering the Service menu. Try this: The Buttons on My Garmin Watch Do Not Respond When Pressed or Appear to Be Stuck | Garmin Customer Support

If it does not help, contact the Support.

• I know my post is a bit late, however , just last week I had the same issue. Down button stuck, and got stuck in self diagnostic mode. Impossible to do the 03 buttons reset. I was frustrated because, watch was no longer under warranty!

long story short, I filled the sink with water and dropped the watch in it for half a day. 
    took it out left it to dry. Believe it or not… watch is back on track!!! 

Hope this will work for you too!

• hi mine got stuck in that mode I ended up buying a new back for it for eBay l took all the electronics out of it and put it in the new one that didn’t work so I left it for four months. Or so Then I recharged the battery and it came back on and it is working perfectly hope this helps someone

• Hi mine got stuck in that mode I purchased a new back from eBay and put all the electronics from the old watch into it that did not cure the problem so I left it for round about four months. Then I recharged it then it came back on by itself and it’s now been working perfectly ever since