Please can someone explain to me how the average club distances are calculated in garmin golf / approach s20? Specifically, do the averages exclude outliers e.g. If I fluff the ball 20 yards, or if I use an iron for chipping?

As per subject 

• Shots such as chip/pitch shots are included in average distance. This would also include outliers. 

A shot can be deleted, but you would have to know where that specific shot is to remove it. If you remove a recorded shot that has a distance assigned to it, it should affect the average. However, how it affects the average may be small depending on how many rounds have been played.

You can delete a shot without it affecting the score. This can be done in the app under Scorecard> Select Auto Shot> Select desired shot> Select Remove Shot.

• to avoid counting outliers I simply dont assign a golf club to the shot.

• I have the same.. what I Did is: I made a dubble club in my bag 

I have iron 9 and a "mis Iron 9 " so all the chips and shank shots I log under mis Iron 9 to get a more accurate average from the clean shots..

Especially if you are a beginner this can be useful.

Now I have a new problem. Since today I use the CT 10 .. now this trick is not possible anymore.  I chip a lot with my 7, 9 and PW.. so these averages will go down  a bit I guess. 

Would be nice if the CT10 recognize a chipshot and exclude it from the distance!

• Same issue for me. I had to buy CT10 sensors based on Garmin advice because a wear my watch on the trailing wrist not the lead wrist.

Garmin should develop something where we could designate that the shot as detected by the CT10 should not be included in the stats. That would solve the problem with all outliers on all clubs fitted with CT10 sensors.

• Is there a way that Garmin can recalculate the distance based on the mode? This is the number that occurs most often in a data set. That would solve a lot.