This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Very disappointed in approach, chipping, putter stats from CT10 sensors

Given that there is no way to tell the system the gps coordinates of the flag, the approach, chipping, and putting stats you can see afterwards in Garmin Connect or Garmin Golf are not very useful.

Here is what I want to know:

1) What is my average distance to the hole for my approach shots (all and over just GIR)

2) What is my average distance to the hole for my chip shots

3) What is my average distance to the hole for my 2nd putt (if needed)

This is all impossible without the system knowing the precise GPS coordinates of the hole.

-----

This has a very easy fix: When you get on the green have the screen on the S20 show two options i) Putt and ii) Hole.  When a player hits a putt, they press the Putt button (so the GPS location of the ball can be saved) and when the player gets to the hole they press the Hole button (so the GPS location of the hole can be saved).

When I bought my watch and the sensors it didn't even occur to me that this would not be implemented into the software.  Your competitors Arccos, Shot Scope, and Game Golf have this implemented into their software.  Please fix this.

• There are currently no new announcements regarding putt locations being tracked to the hole location at this time. We see the interest expressed regarding us offering more options for tracking putts. Garmin is always looking for opportunities to add new features, and we appreciate feedback regarding new design elements you all would like to see incorporated into our products.

Distance data to the green greens on the courses we offer is very accurate on our up to date course maps offered on our golf compatible devices. GPS accuracy on devices offer consumer grade accuracy, which is around 3 meters (10 feet) for Garmin products. We want features like putt distance, accurate hole location data, and other similar features like what this post is requesting to be tracked with high accuracy, with the best possible customer experience. 

The location of the cup for each hole on golf courses change on a daily basis for most courses, which is not something that we can track precisely using GPS, especially for all of the worldwide courses we offer. 

Our Approach CT10 sensors are designed to automate scoring, track the club used when taking shots, and conveniently displays average distance hit for shots leading up to the green. 

We appreciate everyone participating in offering feedback regarding the interest you all have with us offering more tracking options for putting. 

Please continue to express interest through comments to this post/topic, and I will message you to gather some info to personally forward your interest our team looking further into this request. 

Thanks! 

• Have not heard of them, but thanks for the suggestion! This post is more focused on feedback from our customers and discussions regarding Garmin products, and offering further features for tracking putts. However, your opinion is appreciated!

Our Garmin Ideas page is great place for you to submit in detail specifically how you would like our products to match features of another product from another company. You can outline and be as specific as you want, based on your understanding of the technology, and that will be forwarded to appropriate team to consider. 

• Why did Garmin support tell me to buy CT10 Sensors to enhance putting statistics if the watch cannot know where the hole is.

Why does  the S20 have a function to move the flag during play of a hole to one of about 8 or so general areas on the green - shouldnt that be used for putting distance statistics (and why does  it seem that Garmin support does not know about this feature,  its never mentioned in numerous questions on this topic)

• So what happened ?

it is still an issue that’s unresolved

• The My Taylormade app with Apple watch had the same feature to locate the hole location as the Shotscope watch and it worked great. I miss that feature the most since I switched to my Garmin S40. 

• Haven't heard of them? Right-o. So you're not a golfer.

There's no point submitting anything to the Garmin Ideas page. Users have been telling you what we'd like the watch to do for over 2 years that I've been watching and making comments, and nothing ever gets changed. Ever. It's amazing.

• I totally agree Garmin have let everyone down for so long it is ridiculous. I even bought a full pack of CT10 sensors so my Fenix 6X watch could detect swings with my watch on my right wrist. I did this thinking that I would more accurate statistics for all shots including putts. What a waste of my money. Should have stayed with my el cheapo S20 golf watch as it worked on my right wrist and not worried about upgrading to newer/better (haha) technology. Absolute disgrace Garmin!!!!!!

• Garmin is always working on innovating new product designs, and features to offer for our golf products, and it is possible at some point we may offer more features for tracking putting metrics at some point in the future, as we agree...having an option to accurately record the distance of each putt can be both helpful with game improvement, is fun to look back at for rounds where longer putts are made, and when playing on slower or faster greens. 

Our Garmin Golf Performance Stats and Data Available support page covers the current metrics we offer for putts, which (if using Approach CT-10 sensors) include the percentage of 1-putts, 2-putts and 3-or-more-putts you make from short (< 10 ft), medium (10-20 ft) and long (> 20 ft) distances from the hole. The sensors also track the Putts per hole average.

We also offer Green Contour Data as well, for not only the contour compatible Approach golf devices, but also for many other products within our Outdoor Wearable line of products like the MARQ Gen 2, fenix, epix Gen 2, Tactix 7, Enduro 2, and Quatix 7 watches in our current lineup. Full list of green contour compatible devices available on our Understanding Green Contours and Compatible Garmin Golf Products support page. 

One option I personally use to track the distance for putts, is by using the Approach Z82 which would be the most accurate option (besides using a ruler, tape measure, etc.) if you would like to quickly measure the distance of your chips/putts by lasering the flag from where you are standing on the green/outside of green...since leaving the flag in the cup has been PGA compliant for some time now. The Approach Z82 combines both lidar laser measurement, and GPS distances. Garmin's lidar technology offered on the Z82 has even been used on Ingenuity Helicopter on Mars ...which is pretty neat.

Users can also use the GPS distance reading offered in the green view screens on our golf compatible devices, by moving the flag position based on where it is located that day on holes and track the distance showing on the watch from the beginning of the putt, and then walking to the hole. The same goes for using the measure shot feature, which is available on all of our GPS capable golf devices. Spreadsheet software like excel can also be useful for managing and structuring extra metrics specific to the golfer to keep track as well. 

• In order for the AutoShot feature to detect the impact of the club face hitting the ball, it is best to wear the fenix 6X on the lead wrist of your swing. Depending on whether you are right/left handed...switching the wrist the watch is being worn on while golfing, can affect the watch from detecting the shot.

The lead wrist picks up most of the impact of the club face hitting the ball, allowing the watch to properly detect the shot, as the watch is designed to try and eliminate every bump from the golf cart, or other movements like practice swings from detecting anything other than actual shots to the golf ball. 

The fenix 6X has a User Profile section within the main settings menu on the watch, where the "Wrist Worn On" setting is adjustable. The setting for the wrist within the watch, is programmed to accurately track activities involving wrist/arm movement so the gyroscope, and accelerometer sensors are tracking the movement properly. Switching wrists without changing the setting for the wrist worn on, affects the angle the watch is programmed to track movement. 

It is completely understandable for some golfers to want to switch wrists, especially when wearing a golf glove, and other factors to make golf swings more comfortable. Hopefully my explanation helps to provide some further insight into some possible causes of your fenix 6X may have not been detecting shots.