This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Play 18 holes on a 9 hole course

Hi, I have an Approach S20. My home course is a 9 hole course. Up until recently my S20 allowed me to play the course as an 18 hole course, in other words I played the course twice but the 2nd round started as if it was the 10th tee so the scorecard was 1 - 18 holes. This weekend I played the course and when I got to the 10th tee it showed only as the 1st so I only had 9 holes recorded and had to play the 18 holes as 2 rounds of 9 holes. How can I set up my S20 to play any 9 hole course as an 18 hole course? Thanks in advance. Paul
  • Normally, the Approach S20 should have only have done 9 holes.

The best thing to do is update your device and courses and test it out again.

If that doesn't work, reach out to us through our Product Support channels (phone, email, or chat) so that we can work with you directly and look at the local course with you.
  • Hi, thank you for your response. Since I bought the S20 it has always set up an 18 hole scorecard at my club which is a 9 hole course. I have attached a copy of a scorecard from earlier this year which shows the 18 hole card. Today and yesterday I was only given a 9 hole card. At the end of the first 9 holes the scorecard stopped recording and I had to start a new round for 9 holes.
  • Looks like a nice course but I can see that it a nine-hole course. Since it is ending your round after those nine-holes, then the device is working as designed. The fact that it allowed you to do both 9 holes twice was most likely a mapping error that was corrected in the last Course update.

If you think this was done by mistake, please feel free to fill out the Course Error report:

https://www8.garmin.com/cartography/forms/golfcourse.jsp
  • Thanks again for your response. If what you say is correct then i am very disappointed. Why would anyone want to record two rounds of 9 holes instead of 18 holes
  • I can understand you wanting to play the course like it's an 18 hole course, but on the other hand, it's not. Garmin is actually doing the right thing. My course is 18 holes and because the back nine gets jammed sometimes, I often play the front twice. When I do, it treats it as two nine holes which is what it should do. However, when I report the score to GHIN for handicap, it records it as 18 C. I know this doesn't help but just my 2 cents. Great scores by the way!
  • Cheers Nicknacker. I have canvassed many many members from my club and they very rarely play the course as a 9 hole course. I NEVER play it as a 9 hole course and I want my scores to be recorded as if I played an 18 hole round. Another point is that some 9 hole only courses have 2 sets of tee boxes, 1 for the front 9 and 1 for the back. The Garmin then makes a nonsense of this by recording it simply as 2 x 9 holes and ignoring the fact that you will have played off different tee boxes. But what I dont understand is why my Garmin USED to record it as 18 holes then stopped. Did some fool decide this wasnt good or correct and issue a software update to regress the software. I am really disappointed with my Garmin I have to say. Thanks for your comments on my scores. Obviously I only issued the good cards ;-) ;-)
  • Good morning, would anyone care to try to explain this one to me. I have uploaded a scorecard from a scramble I played yesterday. The score is scramble based so dont get too excited BUT the flippin watch played the course as an 18 hole course!!!!! Like what? According to Garmin it wont do it, it shouldnt do it but it did do it while the previous few recent rounds were on a 9 hole basis only. I really dont understand this, and, it would appear nor do Garmin