Invalid Unit Number when activating Montana 700i

I got a Garmin Montana 700i that I bought used. I am trying to set up the InReach messaging set up but I consistently get an error message "Invalid Unit Number". The person I bought it from bought it new in 2022 and used it twice (it looks brand new). He never set up InReach previously. I headed on a trip in 2 days so I really need help fixing this, but I can't find a support email or chat. It was factory reset and the software has been updated (version 20.30 (dad15fb) and the maps have also been updated. I've tried activating on the paired Messenger app on my phone as well as on the device itself. Also tried connected via cable and outside in an unobstructed area. Can anyone help?

• Best to contact Garmin Support for this. You can find ways to contact support on https://support.garmin.com. Just enter the product name (Montana 700i) and you will be directed to support pages for your device. From there you can select Chat, Phone or Email. Chat or Phone gets the fastest response in my experience.

• Support ticket probably IS the best option. 

Exactly where/when do you see the "Invalid Unit Number" message? Do not mess with apps. The most straightforward way to handle activation is to register for an account at explore.garmin.com. This will require you to enter the IMEI and the authorization code. You can find these on the device: Main Menu > Setup > About. Choose and pay for a plan. That completes the "web" portion of activation. Take the unit outside and complete the outdoor portion. For an inactive device, you should be prompted to activate (or skip activation) when you boot the device.

Be careful to enter the IMEI and authorization code exactly as shown on the device.

Edited to add: That said, the most likely reason for this is cruft leftover from the previous owner's activation. See this KB:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=RNwdUE6eL64LXM56YDglD9

If that is the problem, Garmin will need to communicate with the original owner. They will not clear this problem on just YOUR word.