Beginner Basics

Hello to all. I have had my 700i for a couple of months and have made a few attempts at using it in the field. My biggest issue is trying to convert Garmin speak into a language I can understand. I have read the users manual and watched numerous online set up videos, however some of the basics elude me.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance that can be given to assist me in using this device. I apologise in advance if these have been addressed previously. My inability to translate means I can't correctly use the search to find my answers.

So, when I go on a cross country walk, I turn the Montana on and it immediately marks my path on the map in a light blue line. I haven't started any navigation so I expect the is an auto setting that is on. I believe the light blue line is my current Activity. What i would like to do is manually start the mapping of my walk then save this light blue line for future reference or for the return journey. 

I have marked, saved & edited waypoints, and have walked to them successfully. I have used Explore app to mark waypoints and sync to the 700i. I have an active InReach subscription and have used it to send & receive messages. I just need help with the correct terms and steps to carry out the functions mention above, then I should be good to advance further.

Regards

MAB

• Garmin terminology can be a bit confusing indeed Smiley. The Garmin support article What are Tracks, Routes, Waypoints, Activities, and Courses on Garmin Outdoor Handhelds? may help in understanding some terminology.

The default configuration of Garmin outdoor handhelds, including the Montana 700i, is to automatically start recording your activity when the unit is turned on. So that explains why you directly see the path you have walked on the map with the blue line. You can disable this behavior by going to Setup > Recording and setting the Auto Start setting to Off.

With this setting turned off, you can manually start recording via the Recording Controls, which you can access via the Status Page (swipe down from the top of the screen, or press Power Button once) and selecting the Activity Recording widget.

Then when you have finished your activity, you can save the activity by using the Recording Controls again. Your activity is then saved as a Recorded Activity and optionally, depending on device configuration, as a Track. I believe the default is to only save as Recorded Activity. This is configured in Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup and then the Output Format setting.

The activity is just a recording on what path you have followed, like a bread crumb trail. This is different from navigation, where the device helps you follow a predetermined path or navigates you to a selected location. The support article I linked to explains how navigation works with the different options available.

Hope this helps!

• The link provided by JungleJim is a great source and you can also use our Support Center for more information. I would also recommend the following article Recording an Activity on the Montana 700 Series