THERE WAS AN ERROR INSTALLING THE UPDATE

I have a Montana 750i and am trying to do a map update.  Using the "Garmin Express" I see the "Map Update Available" and clicking on the install box, I get the terms and conditions screen and click on the accept box that takes me to the Important Notes Before We Begin and I click on the continue Box.Then I get a red box with a THERE WAS AN ERROR INSTALLING THE UPDATE.  Yes I have a class 10 32G SD card installed and formatted in the 750i.  Having spent time with Garmin Support both via chat and phone and have sent them files and pictures of what I have and been seeing it seems like support has no idea why.  Yes I am still waiting for a response for them.  Has anyone else had, seen this problem and if so how did you solve this.   

• Most likely, there is not enough room to install the update. As usual, Garmin put too little internal memory on the device. Just HAVING an SD card in the device is not enough. You probably need to move one of the pre-installed map sets (TopoActive or CN) to the SD card. Then update. Move ONLY one of the two.

It's been a while, and I no longer remember how to do this in Express. It's well hidden, but it's there.

• Here's the latest reply I have received from Garmin                "When you are trying to install the mapping are you getting the option to choose the SD card?  Also do you have an sd card that is 32GB  that excludes the terms Ultra/Extreme/Elite etc; as these cards usually don't work well with Express"       I have installed in my unit a PNY 32GB SD ELITE card. The Garmin express program can see this card but it won't write to it.  I fine it hard to believe Garmin can't fix the express program so it will recognize these cards.  Maybe they need to hire a KID to fix there software issues.

• I don't think Garmin Express lets you choose the destination of the maps when updating maps that are already on the device, only when installing a set that's not already on the unit. So a workaround can be to first remove a set of maps (Topo Active or City Navigator) and then re-install that same set. You then should be able to select the destination (either internal memory or memory card).

Also make sure you are on the latest version of Express (7.18.0.0 for Mac, 7.18.4.0 for WIndows).

• That's the technique I could not remember. The upshot is remove one set, reinstall on the SD card. Thereafter, updates should work since there is now extra space on internal memory and the SD card.

As far as SD cards go, I have never had a problem with any card. Make sure that you have seated the card properly in the unit. As a check, you might try mounting the unit as a removable USB drive. Then see if utilities like Windows Explorer can "see" the card in the unit.