Unable to update maps

I have the Garmin Montana 750i and Garmin Express shows that map updates are available.  I tried 3 times to update my maps and after 1 hour and 26 minutes, I get an error message that maps could not be updated.  So I will try and update each map separately but in the mean time does anyone know why?  I have my unit updated to the latest firmware and am using a Mac which is also updated to the latest firmware/OS.  

• I have long since given up on ever updating the pre-installed maps on the 7x0i. I believe that the problem has to do with insufficient room on the device. This is not going to change... Using a Mac should not matter, even though Macs are definitely second-class citizens in Garmin-land.

Open a support ticket. 

• How do I open a support ticket?  I'm not optimistic here...many people having same problem.  I have Garmin maps on micro SD from 2019 and they also do not work.  These are authentic microSD cards and will not work, yet they worked in a previous Montana and are not locked to one unit.  

• Any idea how to uninstall maps so I can at least try again.  How can I at least go back to my 2022 City Navigator map so at least I have that one.  It apparently is over-written by a map that does not show up.  I can live with this as long as I don't keep getting the annoying error message at startup.  

• The unit comes with TopoActive North America and City Navigator North America. In order to update them, I had to more one or the other to an SD card, then update. This is not practical for you if you are using the SD card slot for additional purchased maps.

The fact is that the unit does not have enough internal memory to update the maps that came with it.

Although the path to do so is not obvious, you can delete maps from the unit (as well as reinstall them) using Garmin Express. From the main window for the 7x0i, click Manage Maps. (Ignore any notices about updates.) My Maps tab for internal storage; Removable Storage for the SD card. You can remove the map by clearing the check box, then clicking Apply Changes. To (re)install, check the box and click Apply Changes. I have no idea which version this reinstalls. You may have to then do an update. Express will force you to disconnect and reconnect each time you do something this way.

I used remove, then reinstall to move TopoActive to the SD card. Then I removed CN from internal memory, reinstalled it, and then updated it. (This was necessary because CN got trashed when the first update attempt failed due to lack of memory.)

Open a 7x0i support ticket here: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?contactOverride=true&productID=690986&tab=topics

If offered, use chat or phone rather than email. Based on forum posts, email is a black hole - requests in nothing out.

• I’ve been having this same issue, repeatedly trying to update maps with no luck. I have an SD card dedicated to nautical charts. I find the solution of swapping cards every time I change activities completely unacceptable. Yet, I’ll have no choice? I can’t fathom why Garmin, once again didn’t install enough memory to update the maps that came with it. 

I use my 700i on three different boats, motorcycling and mountain biking and thought this was my unicorn gps but sadly not. 

• Best thing I can come up with is to have a scratch SD card JUST for updating the pre-installed maps. Move CN or TopoActive to the scratch card. Update whatever you left on internal memory. Move the other one back from the scratch card.

Yes, it's painful. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint), the pre-installed maps are not updated frequently.

I am not entirley sure that this works. "Moving it back" to internal memory is going to involve reinstalling it. If that does NOT install the latest version, it would seem that you have a problem. Because you can't update it on internal memory.