This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problem found to: Montana 700i keeps turning off

Another thread here explain this problem with the GPS and IRIDIUM unit Garmin 700i and probably also the 750i. They turn themselves off randomly if on for a long time. I have been testing a lot. Cradle or no cradle, 12V power or USB power. External antenna or not. Nothing of this solved my problem. I replaced my first unit, then same problem with the second one.

I found that if it was inside a building or my boat with no satellite coverage it did not turn itself off. Then I tried with the unit inside but with an external antenna outside. It stayed on. Then I removed the internal antenna totally, mounted it in my cradle with 12V power and an external antenna. It did not turn itself off in one week. Today I mounted the internal antenna back. It turned itself off after 2 hrs.

Garmin - we need a replacement internal antenna or a FW upgrade. This is most likely because of both GPS and IRIDIUM in the same small antenna. Interference.

Removed internal antenna - problem "solved"

• Yes, commendable effort to diagnose this issue.

I’m on my second unit, and at Garmin’s insistence a second Rugged Mount, despite the behavior occurring either in the mount or USB charging. With your success in helping to pin down the problem, we look forward to Garmin rectifying this. 

Even though you may have cracked open the case (literally and figuratively) I think Garmin owes you the first updated unit.

• No problem to open the case. OK screws and a good sealing easy to get in place.

This week it also turn itself off with the external antenna connected. Only way to get it to stay on is with no antenna, out of satellite coverage, or in simulation mode. 

So basically useless Disappointed

• My 700 spontaneously powers itself off multiple times per hour. My unit doesn't have inreach. I use it on a powered mount on a motorcycle.

• This same issue drives me crazy sometimes, too. I have my 700i mounted on my motorbike and it randomly turns off just when I need it. Sometimes several times in a matter of minutes. I am glad someone is looking for into why this happens.

• Note that Garmin has not weighed in on the relevance of the iR/GPS common antenna. At this point, it's speculation.

To recap, Garmin is investigating two different crash scenarios. One specifically involves the 7x0i in a powered mount. The other involves the 7x0i WITHOUT the powered mount. If you are experiencing either type of crash, open a support ticket. This is a "vote" in favor of Garmin looking into the problem sooner than later. It also ensures that you will be notified if/when a fix is developed.

This forum is exclusively for iR devices. If you have a NON-iR Montana which crashes, you should still open a support ticket. But we can't help you here.

• Just got my Montana 700i and found that it randomly turned off even when just getting it set up. I was pretty worried especially after reading about other people having the same issue. I had a support chart with Garmin and they suggested a reset and resync. When doing the resync I just selected one library rather than selecting sync everything as I did first time. I’m now 1 week in with a few walks and a bike ride with no issues at all. It may not work for everyone but though I’d share what I learned.

• I am having same issue, with no in reach  also routes me in some very questionable routes when i leave it to route for me on automotive mode. If i knew then what i know now about this unit i would not of upgraded , so many issues with it !

• Im having the same issue with a 750i just randomly going blank.

its in a rugged motorcycle mount with power.

• Hello and good day!

We’ve identified a fix for the problem of your Montana 7xx device shutting down randomly while inserted in a powered (AMPS or speaker) mount.

You will be receiving an email from us in the next few days that explains the fix for this problem.  If you do not receive an email from us about this topic, please contact your local support team. Contact Garmin Support