I cannot get a route to work on my Montana

I think I am having trouble with my maps. I think they may be corrupt. I cannot reload them from Basecamp or Garmin express. I am at 13.20 update. No matter how I try it sometimes says routing and stays at 0% and sometimes does nothing. I am literally in the middle of Canada and have no ability to route and no idea how to fix this. I am in desperate shape and need help. Is there a way to reinstall my maps or however to fix this? I have done a master reset twice and tried to reload the maps and none of this seems to help.

• mine did this exact thing today. I reset the device to factory defaults and it worked

• I have done several master resets with no positive affect. I just tried that with no affect. I am talking with tier 3 Garmin support today. Nothing useful yet but I have some hope to see what they will do. This is currently a brick. I am hoping they will take it back and figure out what is wrong with it. We will see.

• Just an addendum. After discussions with the tier 3 support staff they are slated to send me a new one, and I will return this unit.

• Just doesn't sound good to me.  I have the same issue with a brand new 700i.   No routing whatsover.  That is a serious problem. 

• Yeah. The biggest issue is that I was a software/firmware engineer for 40 years.  I don't believe this to be a hardware issue which means a new unit isn't going to fix this. They are supposed to be working on it. And yes. Get in contact with Garmin about this. If you are a member of GPSrchive I have posted this with others and it has a bug number 122 Forum description. Join and let them know we are not the only ones with this problem.

• thanks and good to hear your opnion as a professional.  I was informed on the Dutch GPS user forum that this is "a known firmware bug" and that I had to contact Garmin support directly, which I did.  So I am awaiting the Garmin response. Almost senseless to have a GPS Device that cannot make routes.  It's like a car that cannot drive.

• I have called my supplier's helpdesk.  The agent told me that the problem will be gone if I use an SD card of 16 GB or max 32GB.  Then I should load all the cards (TopoActive and CN Europe) fully.  The routing will then work well.   I have ordered a new micro SD card and as soon as it arrives I will report the result here.

• I currently have no sd card and it didn't work. I erased all data on the sd card and reinstalled it and tested. At no time did the issue "fix itself." And prior to that, whatever SD card I had, the system had no problem. Good luck and please let me know. I'll hold off calling ***. Thank you.

• Hi mates,

I´ve got the same issue. I´d maked a trip 3 weeks ago and it works , then as I was involved in a new motorbike trip in Pirinnees I connected my Montana 700i to my PC , I recived an updated and next day on my way .....I had the most expensive brick I´ve ever seen. But I did a hard reset and it cames to live again but the problem was that it last 15-20 minutes calculating a route, even been a 250Km route by motorway,, if I passed an exit on the highway, it last not less than 5-10 minutes to recalculate, 120 km/h 5 minutes means 10 km or 6.25 miles, so may be on the next city you could go back , Ha, ha, ha... but at least it calculate very slow , stops at 80% , 10 minutes later 90%....99% another 3-4 minutes.....and some times this bloody machine, had passed a cross , so started calculating again , fontunately I had a 100€ f*cking phone that maked calculations in seconds although off-line, , more or less like my beautiful 650€ brick (mental note: Would Garmin rename this beautiful machine to brick 700i?).

But after the trip, before I threw this beautiful brick to tthe river , I connected it to my PC, there was a map update, and...... After that , I try to calculated one of the routes , the first one, that it last 20 minutes ( yes 20) calculating , when I was on my motorbike, and...... it calculated it very fast and 80 km further that I was on my trip. What happened? I don´t know , but my old maps (europe CN) had been working right , then after PC conection bad and now ....I have to check it better , but it looks like as fixed......

Garmin , ask me about recommend your products.... my old GPSmap 62, still work but with OSM maps and I don´t update this unit because I´m not confident about you....Ask me , please ask me .......

• I had to call Garmin again and they did eventually send me a new 750i. After using it the first time it did route. This is a stock unit with only the updates that they did through Garmin Express. I didn't ever add a SD card. After that 70% of the time it will sit at 0% and not route at all. This is not a hardware problem. I have had GPS units almost all Garmin since the first one a GPS 45XL which was in the 80's. I hear people bad mouth Garmin and I am usually not one of those people but this is seriously outrageous. Still haven't heard directly from Garmin about how they are going to fix this or even if they can, or even if they are working on it. HOW DO WE GET AN ANSWER? What is the status of this BUG? And to be clear, THIS IS A CRITICAL BUG. There could be no higher priority than fixing this. This is a $900 unit that can't do the most basic thing a GPS needs to be able to do. Does Garmin even pay attention to this forum? How does a company release such a piece of damaged firmware? It is worse than a car that doesn't drive. You wouldn't get into a car that didn't drive. It's like having a car that will not take you where you point it while driving.