Garmin Express says it does not support Montana

Brand new device, cannot complete setup or check for map updates without Express.

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling Express. Made sure I had latest version. Tried on two computers, same result on both.

Experiencing serious Buyer's Remorse.

• Are you trying to add the Montana to Express?

I don't know that this setting really matters. But it's the only thing I can think of that MIGHT matter. Check the interface settings on the device. Setup > System > Advanced Setup > Interface. I have used Garmin Spanner or Garmin Serial successfully. Have not used NMEA or Text Out MTP is a "disk device" setting and should work. But I have never tried it. 

You might try a hard reset. Setup > Reset > Reset All Settings. This is a big hammer. If you have any user data on the device, you will lose it. If the device is activated, you will have to repeat the outdoor portion of activation.

If none of that works, open a support ticket.

• Wow, this is certainly an issue with Garmin Express, as it has supported the Montana 7x0 for a very, very long time. 

Please contact Garmin to open a support ticket so they can get this corrected.

In the mean time you may be able to find an older version of Express to test with. 

• I have tried changing the serial format and also did a reset. I just received the device yesterday so no data to lose with that.

I think the firmware may be corrupt on my device. Any changes I make in the settings, screen orientation lock, backlight timeout, tones off etc. revert back to the default settings after a few minutes. I will be contacting support to get this fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• I just got off the phone with support, they are exchanging the device. I have to say it was an excellent customer support experience. Kudos to Garmin support on this issue.

• Same problem here.  Brand new 700i that started to fail after the FIRST Garmin Update.   Found many things to question.  No 64 bits drivers install on fully patched windows 64.  Just old 32 bits drivers.  On windows, "Device Manager", you see the "Garmin USB GPS", but with a question mark.  On the "Universal Serial Bus Controller", I have an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)   In the end, it is impossible to upload my tracks.  Mostly because the GPS will never enter into USB storage mode.  This is a software screw up that has lasted for months apparently.   700i do not communicate properly its technical descrition properly to Windows after a device update.  File corruption most likely.

• Please try putting your device in to Spanner mode and trying it again. Garmin Spanner Mode on an Outdoor Product