Montana 700 alarms not working

Hi  I am new to these forums and have recently purchased  a Montana 700. I think i've got to grips with Basecamp with some help on that forum group but now I have a problem with getting alarms to sound. I am using a direct profile for walking and then shaping the route using Via and shaping points. When I open my route in basecamp it looks perfect Via points in bold shaping points greyed (wont alarm) all looking as it should I think. When I walk my route I get no alarms at all. If I delete the route go back to basecamp and make all the points alarm and reload it that works with alarms at all points. In setup I have tones on Tones output internal only with turn warnings and proximity alarms all set. Any Ideas please. 

• Sorry if I am on the wrong forum I see this is for  inreach machines but I thought the basic machines were generic. I cant find a 700 only forum and still have the above problem. I am wondering whether to do a full reset or not.

• There are no English-language forums for non-iR handhelds. Nobody knows why.

There are German-language Garmin forums for general handhelds. You might also be able to get some help from the appropriate Groundspeak (geocaching) forums.

This is a good reference site: https://gpsrchive.com/

It is maintained by another regular forum contributor.

The problem in question is almost certainly due to some combination of maps loaded on the device, activity choice, and choice of routing method. Lots of moving parts. Difficult to diagnose without knowing a whole lot more about your situation. You can always open a support ticket if all else fails.

• Thanks for the reply. I'll stick here for now.

Maps loaded are the Topo maps as included at purchase and on the sd card the Garmin/Ordnance Survey 1/25 GB Topo pro, Activity is Hiking and routing method is Direct. Ive only had this machine for a few weeks and am still trying to get to grips with it. I think I've got Basecamp sorted for my usage. I thought I had the settings on the machine sorted but obviously not. 

I have to confess to not being adverse to changing settings all over the place in getting to know the machine. So maybe a full reset is the way. Routes and waypoints are in Basecamp.

If I do a "Delete All" reset  do I take the SD card out first or leave it in.