Garmin 700 cold temp shutdown

All my friends and I have Montana 750

they all shutdown below -20 just after the blue icon appear

anyone have a case that can help ? I find nothing 

we use the gps on the cradle connected to the battery 

• That’s expected, I think:

Operating temperature range From -20° to 60°C (from -4° to 140°F)
    Charging temperature range From 0° to 45°C (from 32° to 113°F)

• Does not sound like it fits your use case. BUT some people get around this by keeping the unit inside their coat except when momentarily checking it. 

If that does not fit your use case, you're pretty much out of luck. As points out, -20C is the lower limit of the operating range.

• I had a Montana 600 that I used as low as -26 and no issues at all….never shut down and the cradle would always hold the charge at 100%. This new 700 won’t charge colder then -8 and begins to loose charge colder then -10…even in the cradle.

Both have a similar operating temperature but the 700 is not dependable before -5. Now I have to take my 600 along when it goes below -5….which is almost all the time here in Newfoundland during snowmobile season.

im not very impressed with the 700

• Agree 100% with Fiddlers Green on this one. 

I am having the exact same experience with my 750i using the AMPS mount. I also own one of the first versions of the Montana 600 series and have never had any issues with temperatures down in the -20 C range using the AMPS mount.  

What is strange is that the Montana 600 series is rated for the same temperatures as the 700 series (While charging). 

• I also have an old 600 and never get freeze! Garmin have to offer a thick neoprene case that will help resolve this issue 

right now here the the is -39 celcius and I have to put my 700 inside of my jacket and not on my snowmobile 

• Yes I have a had to do the same. That’s not much good though when your in the middle of a white out and need to follow a direct track. This GPS will get you into the country fine but strand you in there when the battery power drops due to cold temps.

It can lead to a dangerous situation.

• Sounds like I’m in the same spot as many,  I run a rhino 750 on the dash of my snowmobile for communication and I have had a Montana in an AMP mount as well. The 6xx series worked great. I left the back light on always never shut down,  this year I upgraded to the 700i with out looking on the forums. My mistake,  the new 700i is shutting down in temps way warmer than the -20c that Garmin  tells us it will operate in,  my last time out it shut down at -12   Sad to say I sent a lot of money on something that dose not work. I need this when conditions are bad and I need it to navigate with. The  6xx never stopped working and the rhino on my dash is not hard wired, it runs off battery all day long and I can’t trust it,  it has the same -20c operating limitations. Is there any hope for a software fix or amy I selling  and trying something else,  this is the 6th product I have registered on my acc so they know I buy Garmin product,  I would have never upgraded of I knew this was not meant for below 0c temps.  Is there a fix 

• I have contacted Garmin on this and their only answer is “ It’s outside operating temps “.

mine shuts down-10 and colder while in the amps. Take it out of the amps and it shuts down immediately or only lasts minutes at -10ish.

I’m very disappointed with this product and Garmins response to the problem.

• U need to file a complaint with regarding this cold weather issue. Hoping they can update it but I have been dealing with this all winter and they say  that I am only one having this issue. Also my 600 series did not have this problem. Now I have to carry my 600 series in my backpack for backup. Rolling eyes

• this is crazy,  im sure its due to a fault in the temp sensor,  i know its no were neer 20 below when it shuts down,  they need a flash or re calabraite the temp sensor in the montana,  we have all contacted them about this problem,   the last few times i have used my unit it has been warm,  works great,  but my old 6xx was way brighter during the day