Garmin Express failure to install map updates.

I've had my Montana 700i for less than 6 months & have a big trip next week. When I tried to update maps in Garmin Express, I get a red error message that it failed to update. I've watched troubleshooting videos and have tried everything I can think of. 

Cleared history, uninstalled & reinstalled Express, restarted computer at least 3 times, cleaned cache, deleted cookies, turned off my firewall.  Nothing works. 

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. 

• Is the Montana recognized? Green hook! Runs the synchronization? Do you use the original Garmin USB cable? Is it registered with Garmin?

• Yes. It is recognized and it will sync with Express. It just won't update the maps. I will double check the USB cable. 

• I deleted everything off the device except for the track I need for my upcoming trip. 

• I deleted everything from the device, did a factory restart and tried to put the track I need for next week on there and the waypoints won't load and old tracks that I thought would delete are still showing in the collections manager. And Express still won't update. So frustrated. I've spent hours trying to figure it out. Watched countless videos and just so confused. 

• This is a common issue with Garmin Express and many of their newest Garmin GPSr, including the Montana 7x0, the GPSMAP 65, and GPSMAP 66 series...

Nothin you can do to fix it, we all have to wait for Garmin to resolve the many issues currently present....

• Hi,

When I updated the maps on my 700i, it seemed to hang at about 70% and / or complain about lack of storage. After playing around with JaVaWa https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html and moving maps from device to SD card and back again, I suddenly had a lot more free space on my device and the updates worked.

I think the problem stemmed from when I updated the CN maps in the preceding months. It feels like that update doubled the space for the CN map ie it didn't clear the data from the old map.

I'm afraid I can't be specific or give reasons why. I just know that eventually, it worked and it was after playing around with JaVaWa.

Chris.

• My 700i did the same thing last week. In addition, it failed to recognize the removable media after the big red error in Garmin Express. After much fiddling and reformatting various micro SD cards I managed to get it to recognize one again (the trick, I think, was to install the freshly formatted card then plug it into garmin express and disconnect a few times, after which it saw the card). Then I tried again to install the map, again got the red error, and again the removabl media became inaccessible.

And, many email sent to Garmin w/o any acknowledgements of any of them.

I sure wish Garmin would fess up to having internal software quality issues, at least if they said something like it was cuz of covid or whatever I could understand.  I use my device daily and the loss of storage on the microSD is really damaging my ability to use the divice.

I also saw the effect noted by somebody else that the internal storage seems to get consumed way out of proportion to the maps actually installed. In fact that's what forced me onto the microSD card in the first place.

I'd also love a feature where I could freeze everything from updating once it works: No updates to express, explore, the device, nothing. Then I could at least rest easy that it'll work until I choose to risk updates.

• I called Garmin support. 4 minutes later they called back, did some magic in Garmin Express to get the log files to their developers to see what happened, and done. Total call length like 10 minutes. That seems like pretty good support, so far at least. The tech said probably a few days to figure it out, depending on how complicated it is.  He also implied we should let them know formally via the support phone line about problems like this, since they don't really watch forums but they do look for trends in their support calls. So, if we all report issues like this immediately, they will become aware of trends and hopefully get a good response/fix in place.