Saving inReach tracks?

Re: 700i

How can I save the inReach tracking that is sent to MapShare?

I know I get a track saved under recorded activities. And I can convert that to a track.  But that's not what I'm asking here.  That track interval is different than inReach interval.

When I use Mapshare, and send tracking via inReach, that track is visible as a lot of connected blue points, on MapShare page. And I can tap a dot and get specific location information.  I'd like to be able to save that, for specific trips. Currently all I have been able to do is review EVERY TRIP all jumbled together.  And I can't save that specific track data.  All I can do is revisit a link and select recent or view all.

For instance if I go on 3 trips and send inReach tracking to myself and a friend, I'd like to be able to recall those reported inReach tracking as seperate tracks.

How can I save the reported InReach tracks as seperate tracks, AS transmitted via inReach?  And view those tracks, as seperate trips? 

• Ok, I will experiment with this. As long as I can export the sent points it will be what I'm after.

But recorded tracks seem different in that they are closer together. Recorded tracks show actual path taken but sent points don't try to match with path taken

That is why I thought they must not be in the exported tracks which look like actual path taken. But merged data could explain that.

I will test this tomorrow.

Thanks

Updated: Something I just noticed.  I, and most likely most people, will have their home location as a waypoint or an indication where it is, based on where trips might start from.

I'd like to conceal my home location, and waypoints.  The only way I can see doing that is to hide "Libraries".  I tried that in explore and it worked, and is persistent.  But it gives me a warning that if I hide "Libraries" that none of my new data from the device will be seen on share site. Kind of defeats the purpose of using it.

How does one hide, Libraries/waypoints, from being viewed when shared?  I can hide older tracks with date filter, but can't figure out how to hide my home waypoint.  Seems like that would be something users might need.

• I don't believe that waypoints can be hidden EXCEPT by hiding the waypoints category in the LIbrary (not the entire library). This will also take care of waypoints that (appear to be) in individual collections. Everything REALLY lives in the Library. Collections contain references to things in the Library. However, this only seems to affect the Map tab on your account at explore.garmin.com. It does not appear to affect MapShare - no idea why.

I don't know of any way to hide waypoints in MapShare except to hide the Library in MapShare. Explore.garmin.com > Social Tab > Filter MapShare Data > uncheck Library and save changes. I don't receive any warning about this on the web site. I am guessing that the Explore app is doing something MORE with this setting that the rest of the world. The app lives in its own little (ever-changing) corner of the universe. You would have to try hiding Library via the web site, then see what you get on MapShare with a new test trip.

With regard to tracks, you cannot have it both ways. You can't show your tracks and also hide the starting point.

• I solved most of my problem.  Yes, I had to turn off libraries. 

It would be nice if libraries, and waypoints could be eliminated so that waypoints posted AFTER the cutoff date in filtering, would show up.  Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

The way I have to do it is setup the filtering to show only after a specific date, restrict to current track, and don't turn my GPS tracking on, until I have left the house.  That way only the current drive is visible, and not previous or waypoints pointing to home.

I need to investigate the "collections". Not sure the purpose of those.

Another nice feature, and it might be possible, would be to have a way of exporting EVERYTHING to a local folder, on my PC, to clear the GPS, and then restore EVERYTHING after a trip. That way, I wouldn't have to turn anything non-visible.  Just change the password after RESTORING data.

• For Inreach Explorer

Save a GPX file your created from your inreach

Sync

Open your map share link and select the track you want

Select filters - Choose message types

Make Trackpoints active, others inactive

Choose Date Time Range Usually most recent or last 7 days

Open your Inreach account choose maps. Select Export (upper right)

Select GPX file and save to desktop.

Do this for each individual trip not multiple trips.

When done I clear my inreach device ready for the next trip.

Want lots of track points then go to Tracking on your device and choose a smaller time interval, like 5 sec.

You sure do not want 10 minutes if you are driving.

I save all my tracks in a folder after giving the track a usable name.