How to update to TopoActive 2020.20 with a 24K topo microSD inserted into the unit.

Replaced my Montana 680t with a new 700 today.  The initial excitement is wearing off pretty quickly.  Did the software update, then started on the map updates.  It asked me to insert a new microSD card to hold TopoActive 2020.20 and warned me that if I remove the chip, the update would be unavailable.  My question is . . . how can one use a 24k topo microSD and an updated version of TopoActive at the same time?  Doesn't seem possible.

• I understand about the map layering, and it is as it should be.  Here is my "problem".  I live very close to the border of Idaho and Washington.  If I start out hiking in Idaho, I'll be using the 1:24k maps.  The coverage stops at the border and there is no data in Washington, (unless I turn off the unit and change the microSD card).  When I cross over into Washington, since there is no 24k data, the display should automatically show the next highest resolution, which would be TopoActive.

This is how it was displayed on the Montana 680t.  24k data in Idaho, then the 100k, internal dataset when crossing over into Washington.  It would switch automatically, depending on where I was.  TopoActive does not behave the same way as the old 100k dataset in the 680t.

p.s. Using my Mac, I moved the 24k data from the Garmin 8Gb card to a new 32Gb card.  All the files and directories.  Even re-named the card to be the same.  Upon power-up, an error message appeared saying that the map data could not be unlocked.  The data is locked to a specific card.  This is how Garmin "protects" its product from being copied and distributed without compensation, (as is their right and as it should be for a profit-making commercial company).  I don't know how you were able to do it, unless you purchased the download version and it is locked to your specific receiver.  That will work for your 700, but what will you do when you purchase a Montana 800 or 900 in a couple of years?  Re-purchase the data?

• I don't know what you can do about that. Did you try that "Automatic Maps" setting in "configure maps" settings?  It says "based on activity" and I don't know how that functions. Maybe that setting will detect that you have no map when you cross that boundary and switch it, but that sounds like a longshot.  It feels to me like you have a some setting different on your 680 than on the 700. 

About your p.s., I bought the Northeast 24K data on a DVD many years ago. I just install it to the new device and all works. Maybe you can transfer the license. I believe they do that, at least for some map products.

• I have Northeast 24K as well off DVD and use it in all of the Garmins we've owned over the years.