Sync to Connect instead of Explore?

I am using Garmin Explore not Basecamp, because Garmin tells me to.

Start GExplore, attach Montana 750, switch to Plans & Devices, have chosen a Collection, selected "sync a collection" and Click Sync.
I get a message "successfully synced, view data in Garmin Connect".

Hold on: I am in GExplore, why is it syncing to GConnect, that's not where I want my data!
Nothing is showing up in GExplore.

Help.

Top Replies

• Nothing is showing up in GExplore.

Help.

I'm not sure how the "collection" feature works. Try Sync everything choice from the Explorer app. That's what I did and all my tracks and waypoints…

All Replies

• Nothing is showing up in GExplore.

Help.

I'm not sure how the "collection" feature works. Try Sync everything choice from the Explorer app. That's what I did and all my tracks and waypoints from the 700 came over to Explorer. 

The Explorer app shares data with the Connect app. I have used Connect to share tracks with friends over a web link. Pretty cool.. not sure it's a necessity.

I some how had a corrupt waypoint on the 700i that caused the sync to fail over and over... took hours to figure it out.. Had to delete all my waypoints to fix the issue. Not really happy with the complexity of it all. Guess you have to keep all this connectivity working to be able to update your InReach settings. 

I still use Basecamp. 

• damn the garmin software rubbish: hours and hours and hours and hours of trying this and that, so convoluted, half baked

the software is a nightmare

very sorry I ever bought the montana: it cannot do anything my smart can't

• This is a gripe and a note for those who unwittingly expect Garmin systems to be simple and logical because we are used to Apple products.

Nowhere, in any document that I have seen, does Garmin clearly explain that we cannot sync data (waypoints, etc) direct from the Explore web to the Montana device.
    (tried many different settings and no go)
    You MUST ALSO HAVE the Explore Mobile APP on a smart phone, and paired to the device.

Unlike for example the Forerunner watch: you create courses on the Garmin Connect website and sync directly from there to the connected device.
    (You can still have everything on a smartphone too but optional)

Explore: You sync from the web to the smart phone to the device!? What??
    This is such a convoluted, roundabout, useless way it defied description.

What is the point having a $1,300 Garmin device if I still need a smartphone to sync?
    And all the extra work!
    And what if I am at a friend's place or foreign location without my smart phone: I will not be able to create routes on the web and sync them to my device???
    So now I need to carry even more stuff with me?

And still don't know what Garmin Connect has to do with Montana and why Explore sent my data there in the first place.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

• With regard to collections. You designate one active collection. Anything recorded on the device goes there on sync.

You can optionally select one or more additional collections. Data in these is synced with the device on sync.

I believe you do need to use the Explore app to sync. You may need to use GCM to set up the device in the Explore app,

• I agree. So frustrating. I still dont know whats going on after a day of messing about. So far, extremely unimpressed.