About the Wi-Fi

I have checked that if I add a network, and this network does not broadcast the SSID, I write the SSID and the password and I always receive the same message: Connection failed to XXXXXXX.

I have a second network on an access point that does broadcast the SSID and on that one I have no problem connecting to it.
I don't know if it is a problem with my network or something attributable to the GPS.
If anyone else can try and publish the result I would appreciate it.

Greetings

• This is a known issue with most Garmin GPSr.

• I have a somewhat similar issue.....My 700i recognizes & connects to my home wifi network just fine, but when I try to get the Explore app to recognize my 700i via wifi (with my 700i device already connected to my home wifi) it shows the animated man hiking and times out on me every time, and gives the same error.......FAILED  (generic message it says).  I don't understand how the Explore app doesn't recognize my home network when my 700i GPS is already connected to my home network via wifi.  I've tried removing the device in the Explore app and adding it back, still no luck. What is the secret to making the Explore app recognize my 700i via wifi? 

• Hello The explore mobile app and your 700i will not find each other via wifi. It will only connect via bluetooth. Pairing the Montana 700 Series with a Phone or Tablet

• Hello, I am not sure I fully understand what is happening or what you are trying to do here. Can you give me a better understanding of what it is you are trying to do and how you are trying to use it and then where the issue lies? 

• Then why does the Explore app on my phone give me the option to install updates to my 700i via wifi?

• I'll elaborate on my issue I am asking about.  When on my cell phone, running the Explore mobile app, and on the page where it lists the 3 different updating options (Garmin Express, Garmin Connect & Option #3 = Update with WiFi).......at the very bottom of that page, there is a hot link where it says "SETUP WIFI & INSTALL UPDATES". When I press here it runs that task and displays my home wifi network , showing my 700i is already successfully connected to my home wifi.

Under where it shows my wifi network, it has 3 options: UPDATE PASSWORD, TEST NETWORK CONNECTION & FORGET NETWORK.

With my 700i already connected to my wifi network, I press the TEST NETWORK CONNECTION on my mobile Explore app on my phone, then select the CONNECT option that shows up.  When I do this, the Explore mobile app displays the red/orange animated hiking guy and it says WAITING ON MONTANA 700i.  My 700i is already connected to my wifi network this entire time, so why doesn't it pick it up?  Instead, the animated hiking guy stays on the screen for a while, then Explore fails to connect to my network and gives me the FAIL notice, and in parenthesis, it says GENERIC ERROR.  So my question again is...........why is the Explore mobile app not recognizing my 700i on my network via wifi?  How am I supposed to use Option #3 (Update with Wifi)?

• I am not sure that the Explore app EVER communicates with the Montana via WiFi. 

In my experience, the Montana will update ITSELF over WiFi (if I wait long enough). This does not in any way involve the use of the Explore app.

AFAIK, the Explore app and the Montana communicate with one another only via BT. You can't really install an update over BT because the bandwidth is too small and the firmware too large.

The Messenger is the only iR device which even TRIES to install updates over BT. That uses some weird differential update process. Which never works.

• Then why does the Explore mobile app give me the option to update my 700i via Wifi?  I just got off the phone with Garmin and the tech support guy I talked with had to go discuss it with someone with more knowledge.  They don't have an answer and are stumped.  He said he will elevate it and started a ticket on this matter.  If you look on the Explore mobile app, under the DEVICES section, and click on UPDATE SOFTWARE, you will clearly see that Option #3 is UPDATE VIA WIFI.  Let me know if you figure it out becasue I and GARMIN are both stumped.

• I would take this to mean the Explore App will send a message to the Montana 7x0 via Bluetooth; "Start Wi-Fi Update".

Which firmware is currently installed on your Montana 7x0? Is there an update available? Was Wi-Fi originally setup on the Montana 7x0 using Garmin Express?

• We are currently looking in to this issue.