satellite subscription REQUIRED

Garmin Australia website states for Montana 700 - 700i and 750i: "NOTICE: satellite subscription REQUIRED".

does it mean the units will not operate without a subscription?

would it not be more correct to state "satellite subscription MAY be needed"?

In any case the 700 model does not even have inReach, so how can it require a satellite subscription?

anyone?

• You will be able to use the navigation features of inReach-capable units without a subscription. Obviously, you will not be able to use the inReach features (SOS, messaging, real-time "sent" track points, etc.). Each time you power up the unit, you will be prompted to activate a subscription. You can choose to skip activation, but you will have to do so each time you power up.

• Thanks

"each time you power it up"? Why didn't they put it in the settings. Sounds like too much hard work.

I was looking at the 700 series because of the decent size screen and the 750 is the only one with a camera, not interested in InReach features.

I don't understand why they didn't put a camera in the 700

• It's one tap on power-up. Not a struggle.

Only the Garmin marketing wonks know how Garmin decides which features go on each model. If you want a camera in a Montana other than the 750i, you will have to drop back to something in the 680 line. Smaller, lower resolution screen but also cheaper.

• also from nz-aus and using the montana 680t down under and in europe - but the reception and map calculations seems poor, even with updates.

if garmin is too big to understand that irrirating customers, with premium price items, then charging for maps and other accessories that come with other brands. astounding when more companies make these devices

esp for the devices without inreach this 'feature' or annoyance should be disabled - does the customer view matter?