Cannot see my map in configure maps on my Montana 750i.

I have a TOPO Great Britain PRO 1:25k installed via micro SD card.

Whilst maps appear on BaseCamp, they do not appear as option in configure maps on unit?

Any advice?

Thanks 

• My first attempt at copying a map to the SD card was with Map Manager, ignorant to the existence of Garmin Express. It was a free Arizona Topo map I’d had for many years (Map 60csx days). Map Manager created a Garmin folder & put AZ Topo in it. I saw it copy to the computer in Basecamp, could select it...seemed fine. When I didn’t see it on my 700i I figured it was the old .img file and gave up. Later with the purchased file not showing up in Configure Maps, I figured something was amiss. I’m hoping a firmware update or Express bug fix will resolve it  I can’t imagine Garmin wouldn’t jump to fix something that’s discouraging map sales!

I had also drag & dropped that old AZ Topo to an empty card in a newly created Garmin folder on my Map 62st. Cycled power and that map showed right up on the list and displayed normally on the unit, reinforcing my suspicion about a 700i bug (or my missing something simple)
    My primary use for GPS is for ATV adventures so Basecamp can manage and tweak my waypoints & tracks, however clumsily. I’m curious about any non-torturous programs you recommend. I’m in the Apple cult.

• Third party maps are not (typically) locked. You can just copy the .img file to internal memory or the card. If this does not work, then there is indeed a problem with the 700i firmware. Although it can't hurt, it should not be necessary to copy to the card, remove the card from the unit, boot the unit, shut down, re-insert the card, reboot. This will (should) force the unit to reindex maps.

I don't think Express is going to handle third-party maps. Direct copying or the map manager that is part of BaseCamp are the only options there, I think.

Personally, I like ExpertGPS for trip planning. There is also a free version, EasyGPS, which is sufficient for most people. Unfortunately, those products are Windows-only.

• Bummer! I should just cave in and add a Windows computer to my gadget arsenal. I’ve hit some dead ends in video editing and drone interface after hearing “sorry, that’s a Windows-only program”

• We have a Support Ticket open for this issue. I have sent you a PM requesting some more information so I can add you to the ticket. The issue has to do with a conflict between the preloaded City Navigator maps and the TOPO Great Britain Pro. 

• Same problem here as the OP. 

Though on a GPSMAP 66 and for US OSM Topos. Transferred with Map Installer showing up correctly in Basecamp and in the directory of the MicroSD card as .img files (plus Map Installer stated successfully transferred). None the less NOT visible on the unit itself and in the "configure maps" menue.

• OK I’ve resolved my issue of maps on the microSD not showing up on the 700i in Configure Maps. The unit has a problem with the 32G SanDisk Ultra Plus (class 10) I was using. Someone on another forum said he just installed the card from his Oregon to a 700i and everything worked as advertised. I grabbed an older 16G Sony microSD card and dragged a free map to it, installed it and it worked.  Then I dragged my purchased Topo Southwest 24K from the suspect card Garmin Express had transferred it to. I now have full use of maps both free and purchased. A glutton for punishment, I purchased Topo West 24K and Garmin Express added it to the new (old) 16G card. Everything shows up in Configure Maps, Basecamp etc.

I’m mad at myself for not trying it earlier. The 32G is listed as acceptable by Garmin. It formatted without issue, accepted a name and was read/writeable by the iMac, Express and Basecamp. I have the same type card in my Montana 680t (64G not knowing any better back then, I should use 32G or less) It works fine.

Hope this may help another confused soul

• Hi ,

How is your microSD card formatted? Garmin Outdoor Handhelds can support FAT32 but do not support exFAT.

With the card connected to your Windows PC, you can check the formatting by right clicking on the SD Card, and selecting "Format." On the subsequent window under "File System" it will list the current format for the SD Card. If this is listed as exFAT and you want to use this card with your Montana 700i, you will need to reformat as FAT32.

Note that reformatting the SD card will delete all data, so you'll want to create a backup of any files and replace them after formatting is complete.

Thanks,
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor Software Quality

• Hi , you may also find the details above informative.

Thanks,
    Mel

• Mel,

My computer is a late 2015 iMac. I formatted with Disk Utility, choosing MS-DOS (FAT32)

SanDisk Ultra Plus 32GB

• - sorry can you clarify for me, please? Are you saying that you had already tried reformatting the SD card to FAT32 with your Mac, and that did not work?

thanks,
    Mel