This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Messages will not send to SMS

I have the InReach mini version 1...

If I send a preset message it will only go to email addresses, nothing shows up via SMS for multiple recipients. I have looked at the contacts and they appear to be correct with the +1 country code. I've even tried setting them up with +1 as part of the phone number with no success.

Any tips on what to try next?

• do your phone numbers look like   ?

+123456789234

are those phone numbers possibly using the app garmin messenger and are logged in their account?

• No, not Garmin users. I want to send checking messages to my wife via sms, instead it will only send via email.

• the question was, if your wife phone was sometimes connected with an inreach device and garmin messenger installed on it.

If so, it can be that the number is now blocked and all messages can be received by the messenger app only.

Otherwise when you have entered the phone number correctly, then it should work.

However sometimes, it also depends on the phone provider. Some of them have problems in delivering inreach messages.

In which country are you?

• Thanks for clarifying - No, her phone was never connected to any device and messenger is not installed.

For what it's worth, I don't get sms messages from Garmin on my phone either, only via email.

I'm in the USA.

• I would try as next to enter the phone number manually into the address field for testing

If you operate the mini with the messenger app, then you can not receive sms, you will get all in the app only

Next would be to see which provider, I am not in US so can not say for sure, but sometimes there were providers also in US which did not deliver messages correctly

in any case, the phone number must be full, with country code, area code and number

also it would be good to test if normal message (not checkin) can be delivered to sms

• The Messenger phone number hijacking is a real problem which Garmin feels is a feature. The short version is that if the target phone number has EVER been associated with a Garmin iR device which supports the Messenger app, then ALL SMS message TO that number FROM within the Garmin ecosystem will go to the Messenger app, not the normal SMS app. Even if Messenger app is not installed on the device. More and more devices, including the M2, are compatible with the Messenger app.

That said, in this case, it does not appear that that is the issue here (at least, for recipients NOT the device owner).

The other possibility is that the target cell phone provider is blocking the SMS messages as spam. This problem periodically occurs with several different providers. Typically, the issue is the shortened URL which "points to" the map page showing the message location. Some providers will periodically decide that short URLs are inherently spam. If that IS the problem, you can work around it. At explore.garmin.com, Account tab, lower right corner, there is an SMS Message Configuration section. Un-check the box for "Include a link to a map..." The change does not require a device sync or any other action.

If that "fixes" the problem, open a support ticket. Garmiin will work with the provider to white-list shortened Garmin URLs.

made a good suggestion - try a manual message with a manually entered phone number.

Edited to add: This won't fix the problem. But it will give you more information if you need to open a support ticket. And it may give you a workaround for successfully sending an SMS.

• I will be closing this thread as we do not have a category for the inReach Mini. Please contact Product Support directly for assistance with your device or visit our Support Center. Support will be able to assist in troubleshooting the issue or escalating it for a possible fix.