Mini 2: Mapshare Link Tracking via SMS Text vs. Email

I’ve had the Mini 2 for 2 years and am based in Texas/USA.  I’ve hiked Pikes Peak, Grand Canyon Rim 2 Rim, GC Rim 2 Rim 2 Rim, Crestone Needle, and more. Each time I get individuals who received my initial message to follow my Mapshare link but it never updates for them.

I’m going on year 3 and I’m so frustrated that when I send a Mapshare link, it’s absolutely Russian Roulette if my contact list of <5 people can use it as it only shows where I started.  

However, for a select individuals who I have email as a contact, they never have an issue.  It is 100% they can use the link.  But the SMS text, including my own phone as a test, do not work/update.  

Fortunately, while I was deep in the Grand Canyon by myself, those select, smart individuals knew to send the link that worked to the others who’s SMS link did not ever update.  

Why is this happening?  I test my Mini 2 in my neighborhood walking the dog 1 week before every trip but can’t get any confidence that when I start my hike that SMS text will work.  Every time I finish and talk to my wife I’m told of this ongoing issue.  I’m about to head out on another trip and I’m tired of having paid for this device and it’s so persnickety.  

Also, now there is a 4th Garmin app.  I’ve had Connect, Explorer, and IQ but apparently now I was informed I need “Messenger” to update & syn my Mini 2.  I didn’t have to have that (nor knew it existed) in Oct ‘23 when I hiked the Grand Canyon.  Why are there so many Garmin apps?  Can we not simplify?

To say I’m at my limit with Garmin devices is being polite.  

Thanks for anyone able to shed light.  

-Signed,

Trying to stay respectful but I’m at my limit