Messages sent to a cell phone also go to that user’s inReach. Way to avoid?

I use my inReach to message a friend on her android cell phone when I hike by myself and she’s back at home. She also has an inReach device listed in the contact I use for her. When I send her messages from my inReach to her cell phone, the messages often also go to her inReach. Is there a way to avoid this? Should I make two separate contacts for her in my address book?

• I think that’s normal. If I send a message to myself, it will show on both my phone and my device. The message will also be in the messager app and the explore app. I don’t know if you can change it. As long as her device is on and paired to her phone she’s going to get it on both devices.

• If your cell phone has an internet connection (Wi-Fi or mobile data), replies can still come over Satellite if the inReach is not actively connected via Bluetooth to the phone and the message is not read within about 15 seconds in the Messenger app. This ensures that the message is delivered to the inReach in the event the inReach is in use by the user but not connected to the smartphone.

Examples:

• If the inReach is powered on and actively Bluetooth-paired to the Messenger app and the phone has an internet connection, the message will be received by the inReach and will count as an Internet message that you are not charged for.
    • If the smartphone has an internet connection, but the inReach is not actively paired via Bluetooth to the phone or is powered off, if an incoming message is not read within about 15 seconds in the Messenger app, the message will automatically be sent to the inReach device via satellite to ensure the inReach receives the message. This results in a message that counts against your monthly plan's allotment.

This would be for anyone using an inReach device and the messenger app. It makes sure that messages take a priority. 

• If the smartphone has an internet connection, but the inReach is not actively paired via Bluetooth to the phone or is powered off, if an incoming message is not read within about 15 seconds in the Messenger app, the message will automatically be sent to the inReach device via satellite to ensure the inReach receives the message. This results in a message that counts against your monthly plan's allotment.

Only 15 seconds? That is a very strange handling…