Recording Tracks without Subscription?

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of an inReach Mini 2. My initial use case is merely to internally record Tracks in the field and export this geodata (Garmin Explore or via a USB cable) when back from the field and connected to a mobile or fixed broadband network. The exported geodata (typically GPX format) will be used in other mapping program. To date I have been doing Track recording with a SmartPhone, but I am looking for a dedicated GPS receiver for improved accuracy (Activity Recording = High Detail).  The Iridium-based communications is a "nice to have" feature for a future use case, which I understand would require a subscription.

From what I have read on THIS support page it appears I can record Tracks internally and export them using the Garmin Explore app (or via a USB cable) without having an active subscription.

I want to double-check my assertion is correct;  Track recording integrally in high detail and later exporting works without a subscription and there are no hidden surprises (like very short recording durations - a four hours of internal recording is probably fine).

Thanks!

--Rob

• Hi Rob,

for route/track recording and later work with gpx files, I recommend buying a smartwatch from garmin. They will do their job much better than the inreach mini 2.

scenic

• Thanks. Yes, I have received similar advice to go with a Garmin that supports Multi-GNSS/Multiband, which improves recording accuracy. I believe the GPSMAP 65, and 67 series all support this feature. I am considering the 65s, which include a barometric altimeter that improves elevation data in GPS track. I think these handhelds are less expensive than the watches I have seen. 

• InReach devices are a bad plan for this use case. Under “normal” use, an iR device tries very hard to minimize power drain. It only powers the GPS receiver when it must. If you force it to record logged points at 30 second or less intervals, it will keep the GPS radio on continuously - which will really drain the battery. You would be much better off with a normal handheld. Assuming, of course, you don’t need the iR communication features.

• Thanks. I went with the GPSMAP 65s, which I picked up for $250 USD