Tracks in Garmin Explore are displayed with wrong time zone.

I am having an issue with the time zone of my tracks in Garmin Explore.
When I view a track that has been recorded with my Garmin InReach Mini 2 in South America, the time shown is my local time for Amsterdam, which is 6 hours later.

My InReach is set to adjust the time zone automatically, so I am not sure why it is showing the local time instead of the time when the track took place.

Top Replies

• Hello, this is a known issue that we are currently looking at. When viewing tracks on the computer on explore.garmin.com it will go based off of the timezone your computer is currently set to…

All Replies

• Where are you seeing this? The website at explore.garmin.com? The Explore mobile app? Someplace else?

• To answer your question, I opened Garmin BaseCamp (1) on my computer and attached the Garmin InReach Mini 2 device to it (2). From the internal storage (3), I selected one of the tracks (4). All of the data shown on it (5) is correct. At point (6), you can see the time, which is displayed as the time in Amsterdam plus 7 hours (summer time). The track was done and recorded in Peru, and I started it at 06:56:22 local time in Peru.

I hope this clarifies my issue and better... I hope you have a solution for it.

Thanks in advanced

• When you run Basecamp, where is the PC on which it runs? Is it in Amsterdam?

• Most likely, this behavior is by design. The PC knows what time zone it is in. I assume the file you opened in Basecamp is a .gpx file. IIRC, the timestamps in a .gpx file are explicitly in UTC (fka GMT). This allows any application to translate the timestamps to any desired time zone. A lot of applications will translate to the computer's time zone.

I suspect that the same thing would be true even if the file was an activity file (.fit format).

I don't use Basecamp. I don't know for sure that this is what is happening. But it would not be unusual behavior for any program which deals with timestamped data.

• I was under the impression that because the device communicates with the satellite, the time stamp should be the locate time.
    The file comes straight from the mini 2 and I have no idea what format that is.
    But if I understand correctly, if I export the file to a GPX format and someone else reads it in Australia, they would see different times.

Thank you for explaining.

• I believe that the actual timestamps carried inside the GPS units are also UTC. The unit itself converts them for display on the unit. This would be based on the time zone in which the unit believes itself to be (because you configured a fixed time zone, or because you set the unit to automatically determine time zone based on position). This is analogous to what Basecamp does.

• Hello, this is a known issue that we are currently looking at. When viewing tracks on the computer on explore.garmin.com it will go based off of the timezone your computer is currently set to. The device will do the same. To see the tracks on explore.garmin.com with the correct timestamp you would need to change the computer settings to reflect the same time zone that the track was created in.  

• Many thanks for the replies.

I have found a very simple way how to display the correct time when the track was made without doing any changes on the computer. As I supposed the device is recording the position and the time of the track.

In BaseCamp, see the picture in my second post, the track was exported as GPX file.  

The GPX was then imported in Google Maps, and this is the result

(sorry but the text is still in dutch)